1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ball joints

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Ok I'm gonna do the front on my 2500. It has 182k on it and finally getting a lil loose. Just want to replace before something breaks and costs twice as much. What kinda of a nightmare am I looking at? Tie rods, idler arm, pitman, and balljoints. I know the older ones were riveted in, but the 99-06 are pressed. Do I need a shop to do those? Thanks in advance
  2. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

its not bad just get the press from the parts store or you can get i cheap at HF
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

fyi index the upper ball joints correctly or you will trash or snap them off.

thay are sloted for motion and are marked on the new on how to install.

and if there is any play in the upper control arm bushings make your life easy just get a new loaded upper a-arm with everything and bolt it in.

plus fyi the alignment adjuster bolts for the upper control arms are sometimes frozen in. if so get new from the dealer for best quality . the cheepy off brands dont hold as good for clamp force .

and full alignment when done with all.

and check out these guys for hd option stuff on the steering and beter upper a-arms for leveling kit stuff. http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  5. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

182k. Nice. I only made it 40k and had to replace one.
  6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Be sure you use good quality ball joints so they fit tight into the A-arm. The uppers need to pressed out and back in. The lowers are easier to beat out with a good hammer and press back in. As said above be sure they go back in correctly. It will take you a couple hours per side with proper tools and knowledge of what your doing.
  7. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

i was gonna say, 182 lol im doing my front end over at 75000 nothing worse then getting new tires and the guy saying you have a major front end issue lol,
    good luck with the ball joints
  8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

but he told you.

i know lots of guys that dont say anything. then you trash a new set of tires and warrenty wont cover defective front end wear on tires.

and dont forgetto have at least alignment checked and print out when new. this will prove good for long wear. and if problems then you are covered better.
  9. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

i completly agree, i was actually thankful he did cuz i had no idea i think that it could be because of the weight of my xls, but i wasnt paying sullivan tire 1700 for upper and lower ball joints pittman arm and idler arm brackett, and as soon as the works done its going back for the allinment
  10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I know a place that tells everybody that, even if they dont need them. I've had guys come in my buddys shop for balljoints because they failed at the other place. Check them and they are fine, or even new. I went there for an alignment after we put in tierods and a steering stabilizer, only because they were they only place around that could align my big truck. They told me I needed a new steering stabilizer; I freaked out, how can I need a new one when this one only has four miles on it!? I was in there last week (with a company car), heard them tell a woman they couldnt sell her one tire, against company policy, and she'd need to buy three (already had one new one).
    BTW, my truck has 182k also, never done the balljoints. Every year at inspection time I expect to need them done, and every year they're still good. That's what a little grease now and then will get you.
  11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Thanks guys. I grease everything each oil change, 3000 miles. Just these potholes over the past few years are taking a toll and are kinda hard to avoid. Just want to nip this in the bud now while the play isn't excessive or dangerous. This truck has to last me a while still. Plus I do enjoy wrenching on it
  12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That's a fun project when it's done in June. I usually do mine the day before the first snow.