1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ball joints ruin everything

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Sep 27, 2009.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Well I went riding on saturday and the tires looked fine when I left for the ride. about 3 miles in on a straight trail i felt something odd. Looked down and the tire was cocked. I knew the ball joint must ahve went. So i slowly pulled it out of the woods and loaded it up and my ride was done. I was very lucky it happend then.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My freind has a 1996 Arctic Cat 454 4x4 and he lost the the ball joints on each side (not at the same time). Both times his weel just came off and laid flat on the ground, he was doing about 30mph so he came to suden stop and his ATV skidded around side ways. Your lucky the whole weel didn't come off.

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya I only lost the bottom one. fortunetly it came off when I was going less than 5mph too haha. also I was fortunet the local arctic cat dealer was open and I was able to order it and it is comming in tomarrow. I am doing all 4 ball joints at $35 a piece. So $140 for all lol

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's the only way to go IMO. If you just replace the broke one you will be replacing another one not to long from now.

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

exactly and while im doing the one it would be stupid not to do the others haha. because my luck I will do the one side go riding this comming weekend and have the other one break haha.

6. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

well glad your whole tire didn't just fall off when you was way out on the trail.

was this the primary quad or the back up quad?

7. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

Just make sure the cat is all set when we hit the trails next. prsport

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

haha funny thing is we were out triming the trails nice and clean so when we do go riding haha. my buddy just bought a camp right by the entrance of the mulleyville trail system by edinburg. So we have all kinds of places to go haha

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

this is my primary haha which sucked. ya i wa glad it was the bottom only. i changed all 4 ball joints yesterday. the top one on the same side that broke was getting ready to go. so im lucky. I am lucky it didnt go while i was on the asphalt going down to the beach haha

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

where are the trails you ride? i havent been on mine since winter, been too busy trying to finish my car and work, oh well it will just last longer haha

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

well in the fall we run the sacandaga lake shore. and we have a trail to get to the lake thru the woods to avoid the road. And then there is a logging trail that leads to the top of the adirondack mountains. But my buddy just bought a camp about 20 mins from mine farther north and it connects with the mulleyville trail system. So there are some trails.

12. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

Sweet! Cant wait to go. Whenever you guys are ready to go, let me know. :bluebounc

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya I will def let ya know. I am going up this weekend so I will see how high the lake is. maybe if it dropped off more we can run it within the next month. you have any interest in ice fishing? going out and hanging out at a heated shanty and eat a shoot the crap? haha