1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball Joints HELP !

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dieselman19, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

I need to replace the lower and upper ball joints on my truck, is it a huge project??? Any suggestions or pointers??/ I could use the help, is it too muck for me to do or should i just have them done by a mechanic??

:eek:

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You will need a ball joint press and a real good impact to do the job the rite way. I can do a single joint in under an hour from start to finish...Rob

4. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

I definately suggest going to your local auto parts store and renting the ball joint press as mentioned already. It will cut your total time almost in half sometimes.

Good luck

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just did that exact job on my 89 F-250 - 3 months ago. The job can be a bit of work. You need a the socket to take off the nut holding on the rotors. If the truck is 4X4 check the U-joints on the front axle. They need to be changed if there is any play in them. If the inner RT side joint is toast the center section has to come out to replace it. If the brake rotors need turned have it done so you don't have to take them off again. Without a doubt get the book on the truck,there are procedures for installing the parts that have to be followed!

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

the 99-04 superdutys are a little different than the older ones.hopefully the lockout hub comes out without an air hammer and make sure you have a good slide hammer to remove the one piece pressed in bearing assembly.after that its just like the old ones press em in press em out.good luck BTW if the lock out hubs get destroyed the warn hubs are cheaper and use bolts to hold them in instead of the lovely snap ring and the bearing asemblys are readily available from the aftermarket in case they need replacement.