1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball joints--cost and quality??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sweetpete, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey guys:

Quick question for anyone: I have an 04 F250 4x4 with 5.4 V8. I use it to plow with as well as some light duty towing. I have a very annoying squeak coming from my balljoints.

My mechanic says they're dry as a bone and he doesn't see anyway to lube them. So, I'm probably looking at a replacement soon with good aftermarket joints. Any suggestions?

I need something heavy duty for plowing, but also greasable and easy to maintain. I have to make this truck last. Also, any ballparks on how much a job like this will cost? Parts and labor?

Again, I'm just looking for an idea. You guys are the best. Take care.

Pete

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I know on Dodges the OEM ball joints don't have grease zerks but the replacement ones did. I think it's ridiculous that they don't come with grease fittings but what can ya do?

Anyway, to replace both sides of joints you're going to be looking at about $1k and you'll probably need a re-alignment as well.

Hope everything works out for you.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Moog (they have grease zerks)

That's all I need to say.

4. Chipper

Chipper Member

I second Moog are the only choice. About 80 bucks each. I usually do the brakes and axle u-joints while I have it all tore apart. Roughly $400-$500 for parts alone. I do the work myself so I have no idea of how bad you'll get hosed for labor if you take it to a shop..

5. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

i know this is on a ford and not the same but, dodge trucks (new bodystyle) have had issues with the moog balljoints popping or spinning out of the knuckles because the stretch out the hole or are too small. be careful but moogs are nice if they fit right

6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate the advice. I'll check back and let you know what I find and what I go with.

You guys totally rock.

Pete

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like Chipper said above you may need U - Joints too. If that axle has them. Hopefully the mechanic checks the thickness of the rotors and brake pads while it's torn down.

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Truck's with the mechanic today. He's a really good guy. He ordered up Moog "Problem Solvers". They're greasable and super heavy duty.

So, I"ll let you know how it goes. Right now, I'm at around $800 total, but he asked if I'd trade some work with him and just charge me for the parts. I can't wait to get her back.

9. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Just FYI: Got the truck back. New MOOG's and steering stabilizer pump. Drives smooth as velvet. Very nice....and greasable. WooHoo!!