1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball Joints Bad One or All???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stik208, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I seem to have a "groaning"/"creaking" noise that has developed when I turn the wheel to the right like on a slow turn or pulling into a spot. It almost sounds as if a ball joint is going out. I was always under the impression if 1 ball joint is shot I should replace them all. Is this still true or do what needs to be done?
    Trucks an 07 crew cab z71 4x4 105k - weather has been brutally cold for weeks - I also just washed it in a garage 2 days ago and it's been outside since between low single digits and mid teens for temp.
  2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

It's one of those things where if you are already doing one then atleast do both on that side. Not sure on your model but I have to take the upper ball joint and axle off to do the bottom so may aswell do the upper control arm while you are in there. I did both of mine. Upper and lower on both sides for 157$ total. May aswell at that point. Just takes a while. Really helpful if you have access to a lift
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Easiest way to check is to take a jack and jack the truck up under the lower control arm.Grab the tire from the top and bottom and shake it.You should be able to tell if it is the upper or the lower.Then take a pry bar and put it under the tire and pry up and see if you have any play.You also could have a bad wheel bearing.
  4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

It's the upper - I'm going to get new sway bar links along with the control arm since those seem to be broken I noticed. I live in a city with some of the worst roads in the country.