1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball Joint Stuck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am doing ball joints (and now every single tie rod end after looking at them) on my 98 2500. I borrowed a press from a friend (the joint has to be pressed in place), and bent it without the joint moving. Any ideas on how to get the joint out? I can straighten the c-press on a hydraulic press at work, but I don't want to have to take the whole lower arm off to get it to a hydraulic press. I was thinking about making my own ball joint press using a 20 ton bottle jack. Any other ideas? Maybe just a big hammer? Everything else came off real easily.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm assuming lowers only b/c uppers aren't pressed in. As for the lowers, heat works wonders. Use a torch and heat around the outside of the joint on the control arm. It'll come right out. Also, depending on the style press you are using, you may have to cut off half of the end of the joing to get it to work. Sometimes they run out of room on the removal process.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

A little heat works wonders-I was hesitant to heat it because I didn't want to soften the arm, but it didn't take much heat with the BFH. All's good now.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Good to hear

5. APLC

APLC Senior Member

The BFH always wins. Had to go through the same thing a few weeks ago