1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball Joint Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ford6.9, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Hey Guys, I am going to be doing my ball joints this weekend. First time for me so tired of paying for it each year when its pretty much all labor. I am looking for any tips you guys may have as well as which brand replacements will last the longest. I am so tired of having to fix the front end of my truck every year. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you get ones with grease zerks...I have Moog's on my truck and I think that's the most common one around.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Moogs were recomended to me too. You really need to replace yours ball joints every year? :eek: I think mine have been done once since the truck was new.

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Every year doesnt surprise me. My one friend works at the local auto parts store and he tells me everytime a repair shop calls they want the cheapest part available. :rolleyes:

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

well it's true. you get what you pay for payup

6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I Think thats true i have been having it done at my ford dealer but i just wont pay for it anymore. I think I will give the moogs a shot and see how they work out, If they last 2 years ill be happy. Now its just doing it :dizzy:

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

It shouldn't be that hard to do if you know basically what you're doing. I watched my Dad do it years ago and he didn't have any trouble at all.

8. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

I order the ball joints from www.quad4x4.com they seem to out last the ones you can buy at the auto parts stores twice as long. You can also download information from them on how to replace if you are not sure. They are very helpfull, if you get stuck on something they are always willing to help with you questions & they dont talk to you like your in idiot.

9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

grease the hell out of the hub and check the U-joint on the end of the axles because nows the time to do it when you have the hole hub apart. Do you have the press or are you planning on renting one,

10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Ill be renting a press, local auto parts store loans it out for installs

11. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

go with moog. they cost a little more but will last even more than two years, and if i remember right they have some sort of warranty. the hardest part is the ball joints themselves. if they are bolt in (not likely) they are a peice of cake. but if they are pressed in you need either a press or there is a tool kit for changing them. i just take everthing apart and take the knuckles and new ball joints to the local shop and give them a couple of bucks to press them in for me. trust me it will be worth every penny.;)

12. Saltydawg

Saltydawg Junior Member

Make sure you rent a press if you don't own one. Ball joints arent a good thing to try and seat with a hammer. Moog is a good name brand. Don't forget the antiseize. Do you have a hub socket? You might as well clean and repack your bearings and hub assembly while you're doing it. Check U-joints while you have things apart. Make sure your O-rings and seals on the hub are in good condition.
    Pay attention to the camber setup which is usually controlled by an offset bushing in the upper ball joint.

13. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

You didn't say what truck you were doing it on but I assume its one of the trucks in your signature. If so powerstrokeshop.com sells a kit which includes all the seals you will need. I just got mine today and will be doing it this week. It was about 260.00 for the kit. They also have a how to write up on doing the job. Very helpful. Also the thedieselstop.com has a lot of info on ball joint replacement.

14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Niteman 9 and everyone else thanks for the tips and hints. Niteman9 if you could please give me an update on how it goes and yes it will be on the 04 F350

I am checking into both the sites listed on here, i see they both have kits and seem to help you out with the little extras i will need.

Thanks to all and any other input is more than welcome

15. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

EVERY YEAR? I don't know about that. Mine are 5 years old, still look new. I even had them checked when they installed New Hub assemblies a week ago. I have the plow on 75% of the time during the on season. Granted I baby the ole girl, but I ALWAYS buy OEM unless its an upgrade issue. :nod:

16. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

17. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The kit from Powerstrokeshop.com is a very good kit, but it has the stock ball joints. I used Moog and I have 3 years on them. You can't grease them too often, and only put a thin film of grease on the hub splines. No hub socket needed on SD axles. I also installed Warn premium lock outs so I don't need to worry about the vacuum seals.
    IMO while you have everything apart consider changing unit bearings, tie rod ends, and axle u-joints. This will cost a lot in parts but you will have everything torn apart so it is a good time to do it all.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  18. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

6.9 I must admit that is a good write up and pictoral. By in large I discount info from that site as a lot of the members are very fanatical, but this was very good.

19. davespark

davespark Junior Member
    from MN-WI

Powerstroke.org is another site that has some ball joint write ups. I did mine a year and a half ago and that seal driver was useful. Also, I picked up an OTC ball joint press. That with an impact wrench made removal pretty straightforward. Oh, and I replaced my hubs with Warn hubs to eliminate my vacuum problems.

20. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Check to see if the parts store has the vacuum seal install tool from OTC.