1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball Joint Help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bltp203, Nov 6, 2007.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I am looking to see if anyone has a good tips on removing stubborn hubs from the knuckle. I started to get things underway today, but I was unable to get the hub seperated from the knuckle on my 04 2500. I am trying to change the ball joints on both sides.

I tried hitting on the 4 bolts that hold the hub in place. I also tried a pry bar, but nothing seems to be working. I wasn't sure if using some heat would damage anything. I really dont want to have to shell out $450 in labor for what seems like a job that can be done at home.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

Big sledge hammer make sure the axle nut is removed

JRwesport wesport

3. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

if you hit wih a big hammer the bearing will seperate and brake.if you have two people what you do is put 2 of the four bolts back in thread them in half way put your socket on an extension put the socket on the bolt and turn the wheel so the end of he extension hits the bracket the sway bar link goes into.start the truck have someone turn the steering wheel to put pressure on the extension and hit the knuckle wih a hammer and the bearing will come right out

4. CARDOCTOR

just did mine only way was to use a sledge . couldnt get the rotor of either
    had to buy a new one as well .

JR

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I just did mine yesterday uppers and lowers and axle joints

To get the hub to separate from the knuckle.
    As stated back out the 4 bolts about an 1/4 inch.
    I put a socket with a small extension on top of the bolts
    ( to protect the bolt head)
    then HIT them hard with a 5lb hammer until it pops loose.

If you turn the steering wheel until it hits the stops it will give you more room to swing the hammer.
    Yes, it is a B!ich....
    Remember the axle bolt.
    Your day of swinging a hammer has just started.
    hint, get the ball joint press life will be easer.
    You can do it with a hammer and some creative use of a pipe or drift to get them out and install the new ones too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  6. CARDOCTOR

replaced my ls u-joint today had to heat and sledge hammer the hub off.leave the nut on
    until the hub has movement this will save the bearing.when putting together use lots
    of anti seize

JR

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Removing the nut is what the book calls for.
    It releases the axle from the bearing/hub so when you strike the bolts it hoes not transfer the shock wave to the bearing, thus saving the bearing from harm.
    The second is the hub will weight less with out the axle bolted to it so your hammer blows will be more effective.

8. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I will try again this weekend.

I started hitting the bolt heads and turned one of them from an 18mm into a 19mm. I then put the socket on and began wailing on that. Well now the socket is out of square and wont go on my impact gun...............arghhhhhh!!!!

Live and learn.......