1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ball joint help are ball joint bad ??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by millratf250, Jul 3, 2010.

1. millratf250

millratf250 Member

how can you tell if your ball joint are bad 0n a 2004 f-50 4x4 i was told thay are bad but i do not think so

2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Is there any clunking noise? When you jack the truck up is there any slop? The OEM balljoints are sort of subpar. That and plowing kills the front end. Replace the axle u-joints at the same time if you do this job. I just got done installing uppers and lowers on both sides of the '02 F-350. Use good Moog balljoints! Here is an excellent link to scope out if you want to do this yourself.

http://www.superdutypsd.com/ball_joint_article.php

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

One trick I learned with removing the spindle:
    Take the retainer ring out of the lower ball joint. Drive the top one down with a big hammer. The spindle will come off of the bottom ball joint. The top will be the only one left in the spindle. Three or four hits with the hammer will remove the bottom ball joint from the truck.It's worked every-time for me. A Bronco II, big Bronco and an F-250. If you mushroom out a stud zip it off with an air cut off right before it hits the hole. Have not had to yet.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

jack the front end up so the tires are about 1'' off the ground. take a long pry bar and pry the tire up and side to side, if you see any movement in the ball joints there bad. they can move very little and still be good, but for an 04 there most likely toast by now.