1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA snoman, Dec 16, 2004.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I have a question about balast. What do you guys do if or when you are hauling a snoblower. I have a different plow this year and i can tell that additional weight would be nice. However, I have picked up some accounts where a snoblower is necessary. I don't want to waste my time moving stuff around just to get snoblower out. Ideas?
  2. Dan Massey

Dan Massey Junior Member

I use a 4x8 sheet of 3/16" diamond plate. A bit expensive but is reusable, and make getting things in and out a breeze. Some manufactures do make a sort of jigsaw puzzle of weights that lies flat in your bed. I am not sure of the price or supplier but, I'm sure one of these knowledgeable members will.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I hired a sub contractor to snow-blow.. It is a waste of a plow truck to have it sit while you snow-blow. you can make more than enough to pay the sub by keeping your plow trucks plowing. you just get all sweaty snow-blowing, then you jump back in your truck, the windows fog up and your all wet (not a good thing)..leave it to the professional snowblowers...
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

P.S I don't like to get out of the truck :nono:
  5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

in my truck i made a frame that looks like an H i put in between my wheel wells and inside that i put one of those plastic totes, then i fill that with salt/sand, i think its about 500lb or more and it still leaves enough room between the plastic tub and the tailgate for a snowblower... hope that helps you!!! LET IT SNOW !!!!
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I do something somewhat simular with sand bags and a wood base frame that is always in there in winter and I have room for stacked salt and blower too when needed.
  7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Either a pallet of rock salt or ice melt is always in the back towards the cab. Plenty of room left for the blower and spreader. :)
  8. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

My plow is a little on the heavy side also. I carry two blowers in the truck. I use precast concrete patio blocks. They lie flat in the bed of the truck and donot take up much space. This way I have room for both blowers and shovels.