1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

balast weight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Jan 10, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i use 780 lbs of tube sand for balast which takes up alot of my bed. I was wondering if anyone uses suitcase weights from a tractor. They would be compact and out of the way. I would like to mount them right behind the wheel wells, maybe fab up a custom mount. Then i wouldnt have to deal with the tube sand. :D :D
  2. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Thats a go idea. How much do they weigh. I normally put at least 600 lbs on the rear. My trucks have salters so I don't need the weight.
  3. 04superduty

anywhere from 60 to 100 lbs. each. have to wait till monday to call around.
  4. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I know you are planning on buying the 04 super duty, what do you have now.
  5. 04superduty

a 04 superduty, extended cab, short box, xlt, black, with the 6.0 dsl, and power shift. back rack, with light bar, 2 lights for backing, and 1 on each side, all mounted on the back rack. IT has 7200 miles on it. sittting out front with the plow on waiting for it to snow like they said it would.
  6. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Nice, which motor?
  7. 04superduty

6 liter PSD. you want me to send a pic. just took one. dang its cold out.
  8. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Ya, lets see that beast. Then aleast I could give you an some cool ideas.
  9. 04superduty

whats your e mail adress??
  10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I take some of mine next time I'm at my shop. I bet it's cold there. I'm Locky my trucks and trailers are in a nice heated shop.
  11. 04superduty

just sent the pic. A heated shop would be the best thing since sliced bread to me. I work for a small lanscape company, we mow lawns, and i mostly install sprinklers. We usually take on small lanscape jobs. Just enough to get in trouble with:D :D
  12. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have been in the industry for 12 yrs. This is my first owning my own buisness, but i did well for my self and my age. i gottan get going talk to you later.
  13. 04superduty

seeya elite, gotta go to. talk to you later. :waving: :waving:
  14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

i use 70 lb bags of tube sand i have 9 of them in the bed now. i also have a bunch of small maybe 5 lb bags of ice melt at all times in case i need it on steaps or get stuck or someone else gets stuck.
  15. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have a salter so I usually carry 750 - 1250lbs salt of in bags.
    I also farm and my tractor weights weigh around 110lbs. If you aren't in any big hurry maybe you can wait for some farm auctions. I don't know about in your area or if they even have many farm auctions but here things like that go dirt cheap! You can also use wheel spacers for larger tractors with dual wheels. hope this might help. Maybe check at worthingtonagparts.com:waving:
  16. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

I took an old pickup tire and filled it with concrete , put a piece of re-bar in the center to grab with chain and you are good to go , mine weighs 680# surrounded by rubber , won't slide I also put a safety cable from one side thru rebar loop to other side for safety. put it in bed w/bucketloader or overhead hoist, rolls away when not needed. Pelt35
  17. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

I put a pallet of 50lb bags of rock salt in the bed, that way I don't have haul around the extra weight once I'm done salting.

My truck has load springs on it, the extra ton of weight doesn't
    even level it out.

I always take my plow and spreader off when I'm not plowing, the spreader doesn't weight much, but it sticks out in the back, the plow is where the all the weight is, and the rear wheels will slide on a wet road if I try to stop fast.
  18. 04superduty

thanks for all the replies. i like the idea of the suitcase wieghts because I will have alot more of my bed free, and they are easy to unload. right now, with the sand ,salt and snow blower, i have about a 2ft by 2 ft space open in the front corner.:D
  19. bilgerat

bilgerat Junior Member

ballast weight

I am new to truck plowing and new to this forum. I'll have a 8'6" Western Pro Plus installed hopefully this week on my F-550 4x4 Crew Cab Dually (PSD & A.T.). The truck has a 9' aluminum Hillsboro flat bed that I suspect is not very heavy. Any advice out there as to how much ballast I ought to put on the bed? I don't have a salt spreader, but may get one if I pick up any commercial parking lot jobs. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to record snowfalls here in Indiana.:nod:
  20. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I have a 03 siverado 2500hd

My bedliner has a spot to set a 2x6 in write behind the wheel wells.

I had a wide wood pallet at work I cut it down to the corret depth and width of the area between the 2x6 and the tailgate and the correct width.I then made a small box on top and set 3 peices of rebar in the box And then drove 12" landscape ties spikes into the support legs of the skid and filled it 8 bags of mixed cement.The idea of the spikes is to keep the concrete block fixed to the skid

I have a fork lift at work and we just pick it up with the fork lift and then close the tail gate. I then keep 2-60 pound bags of traction sand on top of it (I didnt need more weight I always have traction sand in case I need it) When I was building this box I should have only used 5 bags of cement.

The ballast western recomended for my truck was 400 lbs (to bad I did not look into before I built the box.) I used the same amount of cement as when I built the box for my 97 f150 I used to have.

I may make a new on of these a little lighter and if I do I am going to set a chain in it so when I go to store my plow for the summer I will chain it to this cement block to make it a little harder for a theif to walk off with it