1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Balast Idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stevesmowing, Oct 26, 2009.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

I've always used sandbags in the past. However they are a pain to take in and out and only last a few years before deteriorating. I just installed an electric hoist in my shop the other day. It made me start thinking about plowing ballast. 6.6 ubic feet. This should give me around 990 lbs total I think. I would cast eye bolts into the top of it for easy hookup and rigging. Anyone else do something similar to this?
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I used an engine lift to pick up a couple concrete blocks I made. I forgot to use rebar so they only lasted a few weeks.. This year I found a railroad tie and cut it into 2 sections that will fit in my bed. I welded a couple flanges onto the tie to make picking it up easier/quicker. You'll like it. Good luck!
  3. EIB

EIB Senior Member

dump insert, salt spreader, and about a ton of salt
  4. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

sand bags

I get used truck inner tubes, cut them in half and fill them with sand from the sand box then tie them with baling wire. They will last forever and free. They weigh 70 - 100 lbs.