1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Baking" the blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Oct 1, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I know that painting the blade has been covered here before. But I`ve been recently hearing that in order to "properly" paint the blade, you should bake it in, say a car auto body booth, to remove the moisture. Otherwise, the dampness will cause problems later with the paint. Anybody go this far and do this? The person who told me this recently was a Fisher rep.

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Baking the blade???

I dont know how much you plow or how often you refinish?
    I know I wear the paint off my blades before moisture would be an issue.
    Selling new equipment Fisher has a certain liability to make sure the paint is flawless.A few years ago they had a bad batch(I think it was the primer sealer) and had to restrip something like 1,000 blades and refinish.Boy that must of hurt!

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I had one of those. They just gave me a brand new blade.

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have always painted our own stuff. We just sandbalst, keep clean and dry, prime(self etching) & paint (Imron) asap after blasting. Never had any problems, get 4+ years from a complete paint job. This does not include the face, we touch those up as needed. The biggest thing that we find adds to paint longevity is washing the plows with soap& water right after each storm.