1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bags verse baging bulk salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by badbowtie, Oct 15, 2013.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I just got a snow ex 575 hitch salter. I am trying to decide on buying a skid of salt which is 49 50lb bags for 240.00 or bulk salt which is like 65 a ton. Hauling either is not a issue. I remember seeing were people were bagging there own but can't remember where they were buying bags to put it in. I also am looking anywhere else to find good deals on salt west of Cincinnati near Indiana border. I have been reading were certain hitch spreaders will not work with bulk salt. I am not sure if the snow ex will work since has the little auger in the bottom.
  2. Jim74

Jim74 Member

Buying 2 ton is still alf the price of bagged, buy a buch of 5 gallon buckets, they'll last a long time and fill them yourself.
  3. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

You will need to install a vibrator on the back near the top throat of a tailgate spreader in order for bulk salt to flow properly thru these spreaders.
    Without one, bulk will bridge up. Especially when salt gets damp on a wet snow day. Bulk contains more fine grains of salt than bag.
  4. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Yea bulk clogging up is what I was afraid of. I have called about 10 places this morning and having a hard time finding anywhere that will sell 1 ton at a time and or a skid at a time. Don't want 18 tons or truck load of skids at a time.
  5. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I am really thinking this year just buying bags and see how it goes and maybe next year buy a vibrator and also will have a building I can store bulk salt in. I just wish I could find a good price on a skid of salt.
  6. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I have located a skid I can get but I have done some more thinking this weekend and just getting my feet wet in salting, I have thought about if I could locate a place around Cincinnati area or west of Cincinnati that would be great I could pick up 1 ton in. I could unload it into a 4x4x3 wood skid I have into my garage. I can shovel into buckets when ready to use. Please help me locate were I can pick up one 1 ton of salt at in that area. I don't want a whole 18 tons just 1 ton would be great. But if I do go bulk will all it be to wet that with out a vibrator it will be clogged all the time. Or does the auger in the bottom of the snow ex 575 work to break it up.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I also have thought about using bagged water softner pellets and crystal but I see there is several kinds of Pure Soft and Morton brand. I have about a 1600 foot driveway that is gravel that I will be salting but about 800 foot of it drains down over a hill were my well is. So I am a little worried about using rock salt for that issue.
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Why would you salt gravel?
  9. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

My driveway is pretty steep and it gets slick at times you can not even get up it. It gets so slick at times the 4wd quad is hard to get up it
  10. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Salt and gravel don't go together. Your hill of slippery snow and ice will turn into a hill of slippery slush and mud. You want sand or cinders or some other form of traction aid, not an ice melter. The good news is sand or cinders are generally much cheaper than salt and usually easier to store.
  11. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Yea I guess what I will do is pick up a skid of regular rock salt then and do one little path buy hand just wide enough for a tire track or maybe get a ton of sand to try also.
  12. Digger63

Digger63 Member

It is possible

You can use most mixes in your tailgate spreader. The key advantage in using the bag product is that it is dry enough to work well with the spreader. If you are going to use bulk product the important part is that it is dry. The clogging up happens because it is wet. Some of my clients have a plywood box with 5 gallon pails in it and a wooden top to keep them dry. The products (treated salt and sand & salt mix) I sell are covered and dry. The cost difference more than pays for the plywood box
  13. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I did go yesterday and picked up a skid of 49 50lb bags of rock salt. I brought it all home yesterday and stacked it in the garage. So I just need to do some reading about cinders what are they and then maybe get a ton or 2 of sand for my driveway and a couple other gravel drives I will do.