1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagging my own salt.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by micah79, Sep 24, 2003.

1. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I'm thinking of bagging my own salt. Has anyone else done this. I found some nice 6 mil bags from uline, and a sealer for $155. It will come out to about $1.75 per 50# bag if I do it my self. Any thoughts or suggestions?? I was thinking I could even make my own mix that way. (add a little mag. in there to help the salt out)

2. Santo

Santo Banned

I bagged 2 ton the year we had 17 days of ice storms. There was absolutly no salt to be had,not even table salt. $66.00 dollars turned into approximatly $4500.00 REAL QUICK too.

3. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

How do you make $4500 on 1 ton? I wish I had that kind of market.

4. ddm

ddm Member

A friend of mine did that same thing a year or so back. They had a bagger from a feed store that worked out well. I guess they did alright, made a little money. Only problem I know of was some of the bulk salt seemed to be kind of moist, once it was in the bags it couldn't dry out any and when the temps went down far enough it would freeze into clumps in the bags. I guess you'd have the same problem that way no matter what you used.