1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagging bulk salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SStephanuik, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Have any of you ever got a load or two of bulk salt and just bagged it yourself? I was considering this since it would be much cheaper than buying bagged.
    I have a smaller snow ex1075 and only do a few lots so I like to use the bag to control product that is spread and costs. I have looked into buying some large re-sealable bags or sand bags with the cinch string and re-using the bags. Anyone done this or know of bags to use if you have?

MARK SUPPLY Member

Normally good bagged product is screened to flow through a spreader without trouble and it is dried to reduce the chance of caking. Unless your spreader has a vibrator I think you're gunna be clogging but good luck and keep us posted
  3. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Someone on here talked about doing this using 5 gallon pails with lids, can't recall if I ever saw how or if it worked though.
  4. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I have put it in buckets and sand bags both work fine and it is way cheeper but you better have a bulk spreader or vibrator cause it dosent flow as good
  5. So in general does bulk salt just have more moisture in it because it is open to the elements more so than bagged? I do not have a vibrator on my 1075 but could certainly buy one and still come out way ahead on the cost of salt for the season. That is if it snows more than .5 inches this year.
  6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

It has nothing to do with the moisture it is because bulk has more fines in it where bagged salt is more rock material in it
  7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I have put bulk salt into pails. Save's a lot of $$. I would scoop into the pile with a pail, which would fill the pail about 2/3's. Then set it off to the side with others filled to the same level. Then I take another pail and use it to top off the others. Only problem I had was with pails left from last year, the salt in them is clumped up. I need to bang the bucket a few times to loosen it up.
  8. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

i would use buckets
    i filled sand bags in the military and they suck cause the shovel barely fits
  9. leon

leon Senior Member

bagging salt etc.

About your bulk salt;

Unless you have Halite that You specifically know it is treated

with an Anti Caking Agent you will have to treat it your self as

most all bagged halite is not sprayed with anti caking agent unless

it is labeled as such and will cost you more.

The quickest way is to usea ladder laid over a pair of saw horses

and cutting the bottom off a number of traffic cones to either fill

bags or buckets.

If you pour a bit of windsheild washer fluid over the salt in the bucket

and then seal it you will be fine as the alcohol will help to keep the

salt loose. You can treat sand the same way as well and it will not

freeze as easily on you but keeping pailed or bag sand in a warm place is best.

If you store the salt inside I would strongly suggest you purchase a dehumidifier

to aid in reducing the moisture being drawn in by the bulk salt

You can buy a pallet of good reuseable buckets from the manufacturers

and they will last you forever.:nod::waving::sleeping:
  10. leon

leon Senior Member

The mined Halite has a very large percentage of minus 20 mesh fines AND SHALE because of the use of AMFO explosives. The Bagged Halite salt is untreated with anti caking agent (unless it is labels as such) and the extra handling also adds to the amount of minus 20 mesh fines as bagged salt is not rescreened for 20 mesh fines or below prior to its being bagged.

11. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

You will be fine to bag a treated product like clearlane or Snow Slicer or even the rip off Magic salt stuff. But regular rock salt does not work. If you use regular rock salt you will have a 50 lb chunk come your 1st 20 degree day. Great for the deer but not so good on spreader.
  12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

That's what salt gets for being hungry....eaten by something else hungry.

13. bradlewislawnca

bradlewislawnca Member

I have 100 pales of magic salt ready for this winter. Luckily I found someone that bought the 6 gallon calcium chloride used pales at an auction and sold them to me for $1 piece. So i used 2 pales so far and it was fairly wet from the additive and spread decently without much vibration. I only have 4 salting accounts and 1 is a driveway so I do not have a spreader on my truck just one that you push. So for me it is a good fit.