1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bagged salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by karol, Nov 28, 2007.

1. karol

karol Senior Member

Considering all variables are equal such as temp,amount of snow on ground,etc. IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOW FAST the two products work and amount of material to spread. Thanks in advance....
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

How fast WHAT two products work? All you mentioned was bagged salt.
  3. karol

karol Senior Member

Sorry. Bulk and bagged salt...
  4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

bulk will melt faster because of the fine dust.it is not screened as much as bagged and also from the moving and loading and such ,you end up with some fine dust as long as you keep it dry in storage.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You seem to use alot less salt when using bags. The main reason is that you have to load by hand and the other reason is that bagged salt is always drier. We have used lots of bagged salt and bulk on sidewalks and have never noticed a difference. I do agree with what Cincy said too but salt is salt as far as I'm concerned. Why are you asking Karol?
  6. karol

karol Senior Member

Just curious. I've got 2 small lot's that i'm salting. I've been using bagged salt for convenience although bulk is much cheaper but a bit out of the way to pick-up for the amount of salt that I'm spreading. Probably about 400-500 lbs. Eventually I will go bulk but not this year.