1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagged salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim Enix, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Tim Enix

Tim Enix Junior Member

Could anyone tell me a good way if possible to do so of breaking up rock hard salt so that I can run it through my spreader. I have a chance to buy 10 pallets of the good stuff for $1.00 a bag it goes for about $8-$9 normally. We have a shortage of salt and at this time my supplier doesn't't know if they will be able to get anymore this season.

2. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

I just "defrosted some last night using a blow torch that hooks up to a 20 pound propane tank. Heat up the salt and then break it up with a shovel

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

hey tim whos your "supplier" if it is Toledo Water conditioning then avoid them, bought 10 bags of hard stuff and it is a PITA to break up, however if it is halite it should be easy... shoot me a pm or e-mail if you want to share some

NCLS@buckeye-express.com

4. Big Nate's Plowing

also after the 19th I will have 10 skids of 50's on hand

5. Tim Enix

Tim Enix Junior Member

I didn't get the bags of the hard stuff from my supplier. A friend of mine has it in his shop it's old salt. I buy my salt through Andersons I have 2 skids on back order but they said they are not sure they will even get anymore this year.

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

With the money you will save I would buy, but you could rent a cheap cement mixer. Put in a bag, bag and all and tumble break it. This works unless the salt is saturated with water and bonded. In this case I wouldn't buy it. Test drop one bag a few times on the floor. It should loosen up.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you rent a electric hammer like a hilti tool

8. Big Nate's Plowing

I have been busting up frozen bags with my air chisel

I have 5 skids backordered at andersons too, they are saying the 17th but that is a backup, the manager at lowes on alexis is getting me 10 skids for $2.18 a bag