1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bagged salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cmills, Dec 2, 2010.

1. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

where is the best place to buy bagged salt,(to use in a walk behind spreader) and what is a good price? The cheapest I found today was $5.99 per bag (50lbs) and that was at tractor supply for a brand called safe step, I didn't ask what the price would be for a whole pallet though.

thanks,
    Cory

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I get it for like 3.30 a bag I think.

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Cheapest is not always the Best.....Check out Hot Pink Ice Melt...They are a sponsor here...It is a Perfect ice melt to run through your push spreader.......:salute:

4. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

Yeah, I understand that cheaper isn't always better, but I have to figure out how to explain that to the customer. I've been looking around and it seems that if I charge about 3 times what I pay for the salt, that would be fair, right? If I do that and I buy some of the "better stuff" for $8 a bag I would be charging them $24 per bag, is that not too high?

5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Around here, bagged ice melt applied to sidewalks averages around 60 cents a pound applied. That's $30 per bag applied. Obviously it varies depending on the market.

6. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

I keep seeing people say they are getting salt for around $3-$4 per bag, but my question is where? The only places I know to look here are the major retailers like Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, and tractor Supply. Could somebody direct me on where to go.

7. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Local Home depot selling Magnesium Chloride blend ice melt 40lb bags 3.90 marked down from 8.97. Works out to less than 5.00 / 50lb Check outdoor garden dept.

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

A local landscape supplier other contractors also sell salt.

9. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

thanks guys I'll check home depot tomorrow and a couple of landscaping places.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Salt suppiers, most professionals don't go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have higher prices because they are greaed towards home owners.

We just picked up two pallets (98 bags) of salt yesterday from US Salt. Our price, $3.00 a bag for a grand total of $313.11.

Check around for salt suppliers in your area.

11. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Check out your local janitorial supply store.The one near me has 50# bags for $3.39 and 80# bags for $5.35

12. Division

Division Member

I just got a pallet of ice patrol 50# bags today for 2.50 a bag. it was like $122.50. I love seeing these guys going out and buying salt from major retailers for over $4.50 a bag!
    There are a few tricks you need to learn.... We use East ohio bagging

13. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

It's like a game, you just have to know where to look.

14. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

How do you like their salt? Does it flow through tailgate spreaders well?
    I'm kinda curious as i've read a few complaints about their bagged salt.

15. SnowGuy73

We like it, just make sure that you buying the coarse rock salt for the tailgate spreaders. They have fine rock salt for like sidewalks as well. Its way too small for the tailgate spreaders, it comes out almost like dust if you run it in the Snowex 575 or a like spreader.

:nod:Thumbs Up

16. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Our early order quote for some 60lb rock salt was around $4.70/bag.

You had to pay by September 31 I believe to get it.

17. SnowGuy73

Seems kind of high for an early order price.

18. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Not from reinders.

19. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Safe Step

If you can really buy "Safe Step" for 5.99 a bag that is a great price. That product is a really good product. The true safe step product has magnesium chloride and CMA. If you can get that for 5,99 a bag, get it. You will like it and it goes almost twice as far as a bag of sodium chloride.

20. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

I think we are talking about two different products, the stuff I saw was just plain rock salt.