1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bagged salt users!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Greenscape USA, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Just curious to see what everyones prices are (either local or around the country) and where do you get it from? Here in cleveland (abraxus, local supplier) we range anywhere from 185-280 a pallet (depending on time of year and availability) current pricing 240 a pallet (80 pound bags) of basically just road salt, that is bagged. The pallets only range anywhere from 10-35 dollars if you get 50 pound bags instead of 80 pounders.

80 pound pallets have 30 bags per pallet
    50 pound pallets have 48 bags per pallet

also, how many pallets do you average per year? do you guys get discounts with quantity?
    what bagged products do you use? road salt, calcium, treated road salt?

let all of the bagged users talk it out!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Pallet of LavaMelt (CMA) 49, 50pound bags around $630.00

Pallet of Roadrunner 59,40lbs bags $530.00 pallet.

Im on my 3rd pallet this year.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You guys are taking it hard on those salt prices.

4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Tell me about it:rolleyes:

5. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

Rock salt 3.79 a bag or 185.71 a pallet.

6. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

I followed a thread on here about bagging bulk, and ordered everything that was used to do it. Bought 3 ton and my son and I bagged it in a couple evenings, came out to half of what I was paying for bagged straight salt, and we used Clearlane. :nod:

7. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Weve run 20 tons of bagged so far this year. I purchased solar salt at $4/bag, I had to pick it up. A pallet of 50lbs bags is actually 49 bags.

8. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I get my bagged rock salt from Conserv fs, I payed $4.10 per bag,(after taxes) 50lb bags, 49 bags per pallet. $200.90 per pallet. I've gone through one and a half pallets this year. I only salt two accounts tho.

9. tell me about it. i finally made the change to bulk salt this year, but i was just curious to see how everyone else is handling it!

10. solar salt? do you like that better than standard rock salt?

11. now those prices are crazy!

12. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

whats bagged salt?

13. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Rock salt I pay for is $160 pallet. Comes out of kansas and is in a plastic bag.

7 of 9 locations want earthwise and its $350/pallet. All 50 lb. bags.

14. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

We usually pay around $3.70/bag preseason. Didnt feel like holding it over all summer like last year so we didn't order more til we were running low this year. Ended up paying $4.30/bag mid season. It was inevitable though as I don't have the room to hold 20 skids of salt once my fertilizer comes in. We have gone through about 28 pallets so far this year. For us...we have a pretty good setup with our spreaders and loading/unloading. Bulk would not work for our situation. We can make damn good money with bagged salt. I would be a liar if I said I wasn't at all tempted by bulk magic salt though. My obstacles are new spreaders, storage, loading, holdover. Basically comes down to a new Vbox, building a clearspan storage area, small skid steer, and keep it covered I guess for holdover.

15. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

$260.00 per pallet or about $5.30 per bag. We've gone through 7 pallets so far. But will need some tomorrow morning.

16. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic: this year ordered late 4.10 bag rock salt 50 lb bags 200.90 per skid. calcium 10.99 50 lb bag 549.50 skid. went throught 14 skids so fare of rock salt . calcium gone . got 1 skid on each truck and 125 bags salt and few bags triple blend at ware house ...going to try and get shop and salt bin built this summer and go bulk next year .. but been saying that for few years now :laughing:got the land to build, got the bobcat to load, got the truck craft dump bed to install spreader on, its on 94 chevy 1 ton 454 4x4 flat bed dulley ,with 8 ft curtis plow with wings. its 1 of my back up trucks . just need to get it done .ussmileyflag

17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Man, its good to have some secrets. I can get a skid of calcium for around the same price some of you are paying for plain old rock salt. Its good to know people at the manufacture, and only be a couple hours away from them. We don't do a ton of salting, but I have used 2 skids (a little over a ton each) so far this season and just picked up another this past monday.payup

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  18. Gioscapes

Gioscapes Junior Member
    from PA

We switch to bulk 2 years ago. Before we were paying $245 a skid (49 bags) Plus tax.Bulk and bag both have there ups and downs.
    Bulk Good: Way CHEAPER more Profit
    Faster, Ready to go in hopper no bags to cut open
    Never leave the warm cab, Push a button
    Bag Good: Easy to see salt useage per job
    Start up cost lower with a push spreader($250) v box($3500)
    Bulk Bad: Harder to see your usage per job site
    Start up cost
    Harder to brake up cemented salt in a hopper.
    Less room for blowers, lifting over side
    Bag Bad: Not cheap, lower profit
    More time in labor. Brake Up Hard Bags, Cut, Pour, Spill, Push, Slip, Again, Cut, Pour, Spill More, Slip, Lift spreader in bed.

Anybody anything else that i missed.

19. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

I too use Solar Salt...Morton's...the stuff for water softners. My spreader is gravity fed and this stuff works like a charm. I tried rock salt and the slightest moisture would clog the hopper mouth. The only downfall to Morton is their lack of consistency...one bag will be beautiful 1B sized salt pieces. Next bag will be 2B or larger pieces all throughout. These larges pieces, on occasion, clog the hopper opening. But all in all...this is the way to go and works best for me. I get 40 pound bags for $3.74 + tax. It's also less harsh then typical rock salt.

20. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I pay 4.99 a 44 lb.bag by the skid . 56 bags