1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bagged salt suplier

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ajman21, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

I relocated to the sioux city, IA area at the beginning of the summer and have been having trouble finding a good place to purchase pallets of bagged ice melt. could any one in the area tell me where find a good supplier? thanks
  2. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Did some looking today...Home Depot had ice melt (9 pallet min) 40 50lb bags to pal. $299 each or $2852.84 total.
    Menards...Salt is on sale now for $3.84 per bag 49 to per pal.

These were the Best $$$ I could find & I checked everywhere!

Hope this helped
  3. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Those prices are actually pretty terrible....My higher end suppliers have 49 bags/pallet and they are 50# bags..... $2.75 per bag picked up or $3.50 delivered to my facility(and its a haul!)... No minimum order of pallets. Over 100 pallets available.

I'm in business here....So lets say $2.85 picked up or delivery plus ten cents per bag! :drinkup:

Every year I have 500-1000 pallets available from 'em......I will have my own warehouse facility soon...hopefully....so I may be able to get even better pricing!
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Do you sell the pallets to customers or are you using over 100 pallets of salt a season?
  5. buddy4781

buddy4781 Senior Member

DaytonBioLawns- I work the Troy Tipp and Vandalia areas. I would like to talk salt with you. Please call Buddy at 937-654-6365
  6. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Salt to clients!

I sell salt to clients...I'm running out of room to store it! but I may find a warehouse or build on my lot sooner than expected. I'm gonna probably buy 500 skids for next season to supply to contractors. I've been hunting down resources for salt/mulch for longer than you would imagine!

I'll give you a call.
  7. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

First thing I'd like to know and I'm assuming this is bagged rock salt your selling? $3.27 per bag was my price on 50# bags of rock salt this year, delivered.
  8. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Are you looking for rock salt or ice melt for sidewalks?

VIPHGM Senior Member

i would say have it shipped in from Chicago since your close to there, they have cargill and morton right there and i bet the price is reasonable since they do such a high volume
  10. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I have a few different prices....but we have interests in many different suppliers. I can get it cheaper, but that is over at this point in the year.... I got my personal stock for my maintenance company around those prices.........I'm not gonna say exactly what it is...

but I do have a lot of success selling or helping move truck loads for certain suppliers. I make a little money, and many contractors/subs get stuff cheaper from me than almost anywhere else even if I mark it up..........I had a chance to get 120 pallets at 1.90 per bag....I waited too long and it was gone. I always get/use medium course dry kiln rock salt in 50# bags, but can get 80's and also ice melt.
  11. bob32racing

bob32racing Junior Member
    from iowa

I am also from iowa looking for salt. I am from north central iowa? Any suppliers around?
  12. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Smith Fertilizer & Grain has locations in, Albia, Centerville, Knoxville, and Pleasantville. Call them at their Albia location and ask for Galen Kauzlarich.