1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bagged salt storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by zurfsturfcare, Jul 14, 2009.

1. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

any of you guys store your bagged salt outside?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes, but it needs a tarp or plastic over it.....If the bags dont have any holes or rips in them they should be fine.

3. zurfsturfcare

from NE Ohio

thanks for your reply, i was hoping i would be able to keep them outside

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

It helps to pitch the tarp over them too. As in, raise the center of the tarp so water drains off.
    If you have extra loose bags I usually just throw 2 stacked in the middle and pull the tarp down tight over them. then the water wont pool on top.

5. zurfsturfcare

from NE Ohio

thats a good idea, thank you, i just dont have the kind of storage for the salt im going to need this year and i'm trying to avoid paying for storage, thanks again

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Most places that sell bagged salt store them outside anyway. Put them on a pallet to keep them off the ground too.

7. saltoftheearth

saltoftheearth Member

You will be fine storing them outside. The reason for using a tarp over the pallets is to keep the bags from photodegrading.

8. zurfsturfcare

from NE Ohio

thanks guys, I asked because one of the guys around here that plows a lot swears it has to be stored inside. The distributor I am getting my salt from said it should be fine. He said they store theirs outside "capped" with plastic wrap

9. T-MAN

They do come with a black plastic wrap over the top. Water does pool on top, and can find its way in. Quite often when they stack skids they shift one just enough to tear or poke a hole or 2. The bags are not perfect either. Water will find its way in.
    You wont know there is an issue till they freeze up, when temps drop.
    I have found by tarping the skids they stay dry, and I wont end up with a skid of bricks, that you need to run over with the truck to use. That is the best way to bust up a crap load of frozen bags. Line em up and run em over.

10. zurfsturfcare

from NE Ohio

Thanks for the advice, i'll use that if I need to , hopefully the tarps will do the trick and I won't need to. Any advice on securing the tarps?

11. T-MAN

Depends on the stack, I used bungee's run threw the skids to hold the tarp.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have a stack that is 2 high 2 wide & 6 deep (ruffly 24 pallets).... I covered it with a 30 x 40 tarp and used bricks to weight the edges down....it has held up all year so far with no problems......I did throw a couple loose ones up top to give it just barely enough pitch so that water dosent pool up 2 bad on top.