1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bagged salt storage??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, Oct 28, 2004.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Does it create any problems storing pallets of bagged salt/chloride in your garage with your vehicles? Just curious if it can cause problems with my slab,or mabey premature rust on vehicles?Thanks guys for any thoughts,have a great season!!

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I store my salt in one of those pre-fab storage buildings behind one of my retail stores that I plow. Kinda like a salt depot. Works out real well for me. Before I purchased this building I stored left over salt in the garage with my vehicles & never noticed any problems. All the vehicles were fairly new at the time. I think it is better to have it stored in a separate place away from anything else. pumpkin:

3. northernsweeper

Thanks boast. :)

4. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I have mine stored on pallets so they are off the ground. I also tarp the bags during the off season. No vehicles in the garage. Only snow equipment during the winter. :nod:

5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We have stored bagged deicing chemicals (Halite, Jiffy Melt, Magic Salt) for years right beside the vehicles with no problems whatsoever. Keep it on pallets. Keep it dry, and don't fret. Do find out how thick the garage floor is before you pile it to the roof to avaoid cracking the floor.

6. northernsweeper

Thanks Pete,thats what I was hoping.My slab is 4"..I thought I would tarp under the pallet and keep the salt tarped as well. :waving: Thanks again for the input guys!

7. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Might also be a good idea to apply an epoxy or urethane paint, or alternatively an acrylic concrete sealer.

8. northernsweeper

Can't do that,not this year anyway.No heat in the garage,and already to cold to apply anything to the slab.I may be better off to store outside? I only worry about the bags becoming to brittle in the 0 to -30 temps. :blush2:

9. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Keep it inside. Paint in the spring.