1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagged Salt in CT?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Zenman, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Zenman

Zenman Junior Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic. I have been plowing for a few years and this year I have entered in to a contract that requires Salting. I purchased a used pivot pro 1075 for this. My problem is that I can not locate anyplace in CT that sells the Bagged salt. I am sure they exist but I can not find anything in google or the yellow pages. Anyone in CT know where to buy pallets of 50lb bagged salt? Possibly prices? Thanks in advanced guys,

-Zenman

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

any local hardware store, HD or lowes. we bought 2 pallets last year from True Value. i think it came out to like $3.90 / bag. Havent checked into it yet this year though...

3. Zenman

Zenman Junior Member

Thanks, I was checking Homedepot and Lowes but no one has any yet. I assumed there were other places. thanks again,

4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

kamco supply in orange has the best prices on it. sam's club has it in stock also.

5. fireside

fireside Senior Member

if you have a pickup just go down to GT and get a small bucket of bulk salt much cheaper than bagged. Shovel or load 50 pd bags it the truck than into the sander is way to much work to me! shoveling is much easier anyday
    let me know if you run into any problems i may be able to help.

6. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I've gotten bagged salt from Agway, Ace Hardware, local building supply companies, as well as drug stores. Just check around, and it never hurts to ask how many you need to buy to get a discount. Usually if they order skids for you, and you pick them up as soon as they arrive, they will give you some kind of a discount, as they do not need to unload, inventory, and stack them.

Have you thought about using bulk? Does your salter have a vibe on it? If so, go bulk, you will save a LOT of $. If you don't want to have a yard dumped into your bed, buy some "Homer Buckets" from Home Depot, they are 5 gal buckets, that when filled will hold 50# of salt each, and if you put a lid on them, they will stay dry. The buckets are now $1.99/ea, and the lids are $0.99/ea. It won't take long for them to pay for themselves.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. Zenman

Zenman Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have a snowex 1075 without the vib, I was looking at doing one next year. I like the bucket Idea. Since I have to snow blow also I need to keep with the tailgate spreader. I only have on truck this year so I have a lot of work ahead of me. That is why I kept with the pivot mount, I can still load and unload the blower. Thanks, Steve

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

The heck with $2.99 Go to where they are building houses. You can get the joint compound buckets with lids for FREE. payup Ask me how I know this.

The only thing is you have to rinse them out. No big deal. hey, if it's free, it's for me. :drinkup:

9. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Lowes %.48 a bag

10. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

$5.48 a bag

11. Zenman

Zenman Junior Member

Thanks BHISNOWMAN, I'll check Lowes tonight. Know if they give a discount by the pallet load? I'll find out tonight, just wondered if you knew off the top of your head.

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

CHeck out John Deere in your area. Best price per pallet here in cleveland area.

13. fireside

fireside Senior Member

go to lowe's in orange to the commmercial sales desk ask for Guy (yes thats his name) he will take care of you. they are hurting for sales so they have been selling at almost no margain.Just a little inside info to keep under your hat!!!

14. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Buy some 10% off coupons on ebay. I paid $4.00 for a coupon and saved .55 a bag. X100.

15. fireside

fireside Senior Member

don't buy discount coupons they have them at the commercial desk for free. just ask!!

16. DARCO_PM

DARCO_PM Junior Member
    from CT

Newbie here. Hi, to all.
    Anyone in CT know where to buy pallet of 50lb bagged salt or how about sand/salt mix?:confused:

17. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Not stepping on any sponsors but i have access to bulk mix, salt and sand in CT .

18. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

how about a good place to get bulk mix in central Conn? Meriden, Middletown area

19. fireside

fireside Senior Member

My buddy gets it from a guy on the berlin turnpike by Berlin's firehouse. I think he said 65 a yard.

20. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I get my bulk mix from Dunning Sand and Gravel in Farmington. If I remember right sand/salt mix was about $70/ton last year.

There might be a place closer to you though.....