1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagged Salt in 8500?

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by Mark13, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Has anyone run bagged salt through an 8500 with any sort of luck? 99.9% of what I will spread is bulk but I have one driveway I hit on my way home that is asking for salt and I'd rather use bags on the driveway then bulk which belongs to my boss and not me. It would only be 4-5 bags max per event, I just don't want to flip the spreader on and have it try and spread all 5 bags instantly on the first 10' of the driveway.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Drive faster.....sorry I couldn't offer anymore insight

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Hah. I see that ending poorly. Circle shaped driveway with a pretty significant slope towards the house/garage with retaining walls on each side of the house. There is also an island in the middle with plants and rail road ties around it.

Slow and cautious is the plan for that driveway.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like chains are in order, there is a thread today about that. unfortunately, it laying on the mooseland editing floor.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

:D

I'll put them on when I figure out where the northwest pass is and what 72" of snow during the night looks like.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Most of what we spread through trucks is bulk also.....but Ive ran some bagged through our 8500. Goes through it faster. Best I can tell you is run the auger a little slower than normal...spinner adjust accordingly...better off going over it again than putting more down than needed. After the first time you'll know how it acts.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I figured the same as you, better to go over it lightly twice then to heavy the first time and run short on material.

8. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

Is it set up for straight salt or sand/salt mix? If you dont have all the baffles in the salt will just flow out. Id just get yourself a walk behind spreader and use it on that one drive