1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagged salt for delivery in Maine?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick76, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Yes I did a search but anyone know of a supplier to deliver about 18 ton of bagged salt to maine? I contact a few suppliers from previous threads I found but no one to maine.... I have got Lowes looking into the deliver thing but anyone in the northeast have a lead?

TIA
    Mike

2. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Your price should be around $4.35 per bag delivered on truckloads 18 pallets x 49 bags 50#

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Try Paris Farmers Union.

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Paris was about $6 a bag or 250 a ton... snowmelt, where can I get it delivered for 4.35?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ouch. $6 for a 50 lb bag?

Any reason you don't want to go bulk? It would be about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Yup $6 for a 50# bag.....Proble is I have No space this year..... next year I might build a shed IF i get the right accounts. Morton gave me till today to get my contract signed and in for the $74 a ton delivered price. That didn't happen so I don't know if they'll have anymore or for what price.....damn accounts are dragging their feet, so I know I'm going to need some just not sure how much at this point and have to be somewhat ready with a game plan when they finally do sign....... the bagged way will be more of a pita way but it should get me by this year

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you going to load that 2yd spreader with 50 lb bags? There's no pit/yard in your area selling bulk by the hopper full?

8. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

Mick76-Where are you located in Maine?

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

There is a place I can get bulk salt in my area.... hes the ONLY one and charges $275 per yard!!! I know I could use him but thats just wrong!

I'm in Auburn

10. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

Have you tried N.H. Bragg? I don't know if they deliver. They have a place in Bangor and Westbrook, not really close to you, but I figured I would tell you. Also, my uncle delivers salt, but I don't think he does bagged salt. I will PM you his number and you can call him. He is about 2 hours from you, but its worth a shot asking if he does bagged salt if you want.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

$275 / yd is insane. I can't believe that between L/A there isn't someone else more reasonable

Mick - Did you price the 80 lb bags? Probably cheaper per lb. but not much fun to lift

12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks for your help guys... 207 I'll try calling tomorrow afternoon..thanks
    cor... I'm beginning to think I could just start my own bulk salt supply place and charge 1/2 of what that other guy charges... heck, I wouldn't have to plow!.....I'm not opposed to bulk just that I live by wells and you know the dep crap

13. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

Oh...I forgot to tell you. His name is JR. (Junior) or Harry, which ever is fine with him.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mick - here's another idea. Paying 250 per ton for 20 ton sucks. You could get a wheeler to run to Sprague in Portland for you for a hundred bucks or less. Not sure what the price is down there, but it has to be under a hundred/ton. You could save almost three grand on your salt costs, and untold hours loading by hand.

Here's the idea - The guy that does the Home Depot here uses storage trailers for his salt. One for straight salt/one for salted sand. Has them right in the back of the parking lot. Uses one of his skids to load the trucks, than pops the pusher on for plowing. The deal he made is that HD can use the trailers for storage in the offseason. On the job where you need the skid - are you leaving the skid there? Maybe they will let you put a trailer there and work a similar deal. You might only break even this year after buying the trailer, but you'll have it for next year. And if the client is using the trailer in the offseason, it helps lock you in for next year. Call Maine Trailer.

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

got a phone call back from lowes....$5.64 per bag buying it in 12 ton lots!..... WTF do they think this stuff is gold or what?!....... Cor I called Sprague and their supposed to call me back monday... I don't know maybe I'll just suck it up and find a place to store the salt for the season

16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Cor, do you know how hard it is to move those trailers?...wheres maine trailer out of?

Thanks

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They are right in your back yard.

http://www.mainetrailer.com/

Inquire about buying vs. renting. Apparently the HD guy rented, and did some damage. He offered to buy them at the end of the season. They said no, charged him rent plus repairs. Cost more than buying.

18. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

alright, The guys on washinton st.... i know them... i'll check them out , thanks

19. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Mick, Tandberg here in Widham will load you up by the hooper full......I forget the pricing but it was cheap. There on Rt. 115 before you get to 302. Depending on where you are in Auburn it's a 15 - 20 minute ride.

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the replys all..... I FINALLY found a place that is reasonable for loaded bulk salt around my area ..... But I'm still buying a skid steer!...boys and their toys!