1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bagged prewet salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dmai0101@spryne, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dmai0101@spryne

dmai0101@spryne Junior Member
    from 46250

tried using a bagged, pre wet salt thru a tailgate spreader. did not feed well even with use of vibrator.

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Up until just this season I've been wetting my bagged salt on a tailgate spreader. You need to do it just like a real pre wet system . I had a 35 gallon tank and 2 gpm pump that sprayed right at the spinner. The salt was never wet until it was moving. If I get time I plan to mount that to my new spreader. Soaking wet salt doesn't work well in anything.

3. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

wat type of spreader/vibrator are u using?

4. dmai0101@spryne

from 46250

the salt I am using is megamelt pro slicer. I have a salt dogg tsg05, and a dc80 vibrator. I also use a tractor with a 10 bu ag spreader, and that works fine.

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have never heard of that salt but I looked it up. So it looks like its a treated salt not actually a "soaking wet" salt as if you were pre wetting on the spreader. That makes more sense since you said it came bagged. I would have thought any bagged product would work in your spreader especially with a vibrator. Where is the vibrator mounted on your spreader ? So does that stuff pour out of the bag easy like most bagged products or is it clumpy or sticky ?

6. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

is that pro slicer purple color?
    what did you pay per 50lb bag?

and yes everything matters, wether the stuff is clumpy or not. weather the vibrator is mounted in the correct location (near the throat of the spreader), also i found out quickly using my tailgate spreader with vibrator that if you leave vibrator on while not using the spinner motor, it actually compacts the salt and makes it worse.

7. dmai0101@spryne

from 46250

the vibrator is about 8" from throat, the products pours out easily but does seem to compact as you drive down the road. I believe it cost about $7 per bag

8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

1. I think the vibrator is to hi up. 2. If the vibrator is constantly running it will shove the product into the spinner faster than it can throw it.. If you have the vibrator on a momentary switch and just pop it on and off every 10-15 seconds it will work perfect.. I have ran a western pro flo 2 and a Buyers tgso5b.. I put on an 80# vibrator kit 2" above bottom of the throat.. I ran straight sand through it without an issue.. For the money buyers is the way to go.. It spreads way better, is less complicated to work on and parts and price to start off with are extremely cheaper.. My next spreader will be the tgso7 only because the tgso3 is basically the exact same thing but doesn't include the vibrator. Thanks to Magna for that info. I wont run another spreader Tailgate or v-box without a vibrator... Just my .02

9. dmai0101@spryne

from 46250

Thanks, I will give this a try.

10. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Ive started running proslicer this year. Have no issues yet in both of my snowexs. Haven't clogged yet even though some does stick to the sides inside the spreaders.

And yes, some of the salt is soaking wet, some not so much. Works awesome though.

11. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

I bought a pallet of proslicer to try, ill let you know how it goes through my western 1000 tailgate spreader with 80# vibrator. I did notice that the salt chunks are small though.

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I run clearlane through my Snowex spreaders without a vibrator no problem.

13. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

yep, i ran clearlane as well with no problem, so far so good on almost any treated or untreated bulk salt. i don't like regular untreated bulk as it tends to be the most sandy and fine, I seems to go through more of it then bagged material, still experimenting with different treated products.