1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagged ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by greatdanenick, Dec 18, 2011.

1. greatdanenick

greatdanenick Junior Member

A few of my customers want there walk leading up to the step salted and walks on the side of there houses and steps in the back Etc..think hd and or farm and fleet or menards,ace etc..for like a few 50lbs bags like safestep or similar would be ok? like i said only will used on a few,calcium for sure..farm and fleet seems very resonable
    Thanks GuysThumbs Up

2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Nick,

I use a few different things. In warmer temps on longer walks I use salt. Cheaper and works fine. Same temp closer to entries I switch to mag Chloride. It doesn't seem to stain as bad and a little bit goes a long way. Colder temps I'll switch to mag chloride more extensively.
    Pete

3. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

My more particular customers have asked for some thing called LiquiFire.

It seems to work OK, just when its cold requires a lot heavier application.

4. peterng

peterng Senior Member

that is particular indeed. I've never had a complaint about staining from the mag chlo. I use enviromelt, safe step or absolute zero meltdown. often a sand combo and the sand is oftem inside. Hard to complain about though :)
    Pete

5. greatdanenick

greatdanenick Junior Member

Ok thanks,i seen a mix of mag with calcium..i picked up a 50lb bag to try for now and see how it will work...wish we had some snowpayup

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

the old mag chlo came in handy this morning. A windy -9Celsius and the mag burned right through to let the sand sit and had the whole thing melted and dried up by days end.

I love that stuff when I need it :)
    Pete

7. cuffnup

cuffnup Junior Member

Where you guys getting your Mag Chloride and how much you spend on it?

8. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Here I get mine at an equipment rental store. Check with your local commercial cleaning supplies store, I pay$15.40 for 50lb bag of Enviromelt. It pays to call around. Ask for the spec sheet on magnesium content, there are many different concentrations.

I am in the process of getting pricing for pallets of Magnesium Chloride bags from a producer. That's the only place you can get into some decent pricing. Local spots will give me .50 or a dollar off per bag on pallet pricing FOB. They already sent me a quote for 2200lb tote of Magnesium Chloride, $450+tax. I'd be looking into getting a bunch of snap lid 55gal barrels for storage as it is a hygroscopic product.
    Pete