1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagged Ice Melt Application Rate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HeartlandOKC, Dec 7, 2011.

1. HeartlandOKC

HeartlandOKC Member

I'm in OK and use bagged ice melt for all applications because we only get 2-3 storms a year. No reason to mess with bulk.

The ice melt I got this year is Mears Trail Blazer Ice Melt 50lb. bags.

As you can see the label says 2-4 ounces per square yard or 2-4 ounces per 9 square feet.
    --to make it easy we'll say 1 ounce per 3 square feet.
    --16 ounces in a pound so 800 ounces in a bag.

The parking lot I'm trying to estimate for is 275,000 square feet.
    --so 275,000 / 3 = 91666.66 ounces needed
    --91666.66 / 800 ounces for a bag = 114.58 bags

115 bags seems like a ridiculous amount for this property. I was thinking around 30 bags. How far do your 50 lb. bags usually go? If I go off what the bag says these will go 1800-3600 square feet.
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You are trying to apply bagged product to 6.5acres? That should be like 3ton worth of salt.
  3. HeartlandOKC

HeartlandOKC Member

Ya... Not ideal. I know. Like I said bulk isn't possible here.
  4. woodking

woodking Junior Member

115 bags at 50 lbs per bag would be 5750 lbs of salt yes about 3 tons of salt sounds about right to me
  5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

that's going to be one sore back from load those bags in the spreader! :cry:
  6. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

If you have a in bed spreader why not just go to the salt depot when you need to salt and have them load you directly. Even if you have to buy a truck bed spreader it will save you money instead of having to buy all that bagged product and load it.