1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bagged De-icer Prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Chuck Smith, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I just got a flyer in the mail for some "2001 Ice Melter Specials". They say "The Best Deals".
    How's this sound?
    1 Pallet (56 bags) of Pedalow ice melter, at $750.50. That's $13.40 per (50#) bag. Bags less than a full pallet, at $22.00 per 50# bag.

1 Pallet (49 bags) of rock salt (50#) at $226.00, that's $4.71 per bag. Bags less than a full pallet, $5.75 per 50# bag. Just for the sake of comparission, my brother paid $5.75 per bag, when buying a full pallet of 80# bags last year.

1 Pallet (56 bags) of Calcium Chloride flakes at $660.00. That's $11.79 per (50#) bag. Less than a full pallet at $21.50 per 50# bag.

And they call these prices a good deal???

~Chuck

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Remind me not to go to them for a "good deal". Could this be people trying to get over on the expected salt shortage or have prices just gone up that far. The fuel prices are back down here in Ohio but they were up all summer.

Bruce

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

One of my suppliers is offering this:
    Rock salt - 49 bags\pallet $4.25\bag $4.50\bag less than a pallet

Calcium Chloride Pellets 56 bags\pallet $12.96\bag $13.75\bag less than a pallet.

The supplier had a letter from one of his suppliers sitting out that I accidently read. It talked about how supply is bad for this season and listed 3 reasons 1. Bad winter last year- they still haven't caught up 2. Increased usage of salt facilities to produce either salt or some other product for increased need for dust control products. 3. Increased use of salt in other industries that need it for different uses (oil, manufacturing and others) Apparently we aren't the only people that need salt :( Sorry for the wierd explanations, but I was reading it upside down & quickly, so I wasn't able to record it exactly in my brain for later usage, but this is very close to what the letter said.

4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

If anyone would like a quote on most types of bag material or bulk salt (treated or untreated). Please feel free to call our office or email us at icemelt@att.net and we would be happy :D to assist you.

Thank You
    Mike Nelson
    Environmental Surface Treatments,Inc.
    Fishkill,N.Y.
    authorized distributor of Ice Ban Products
    1-877-Snowgone or
    1-845-831-4900

5. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Those of u who were at the bbq saw the Magic Salt and those of you who didnt get to come can get your bulk salt and bagged material pricing from us if you like.We can also get you pricing on bagged ICE BAN if you like just give us a ring and we will be happy to quote you.
    Our Tel is 845-485-4200
    or email us at www.wemeltice@aol.com
    John Parker
    Sprayed salt
    bagged Magic Salt
    CMA
    bagged Ice Ban
    bulk from Boston to Philadelphia

6. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

could u guys post ur prices on here?

7. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

:confused: I'd like one of those quotes, John!

8. ddm

ddm Member

We've been checking bagged prices around the area here in MI.

Most have been a little under $3.00 a bag,(50#) 49 bags/pallet=$ 147.00. So we may be on the cheap side of the curve in this area. :cool: I have been told by a couple of places to expect an increase by late November which may be significant. Sound s like we should all prepare for the "shortage" a little earlier this season.

Last season during the "shortage" we paid as high as $ 4.50/bag, and it was hard to find salt at any price for a time. Luckily, we made it through only buying a little here and there, but I'd like to be better prepared this year.

9. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

i'm getting 1 pallet(50 bags) at 50 lbs a piece for $172.50

home depot has them for the same price too!

10. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

If anyone in my area of MI, (Grand Rapids) is interested in trying bagged magic, I've got a load scheduled for the last week of November. I only have a 1/4 truckload coming now, but there is another price break at 1/2 truck, so it would benefit both of us a litlle.

11. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I just purchased 4 - 80# pallets (35 bags) of safety salt from Morton at $4.78 per bag. The cost went up yesterday but my contract ends 12-31-01 so I can still get it for that price. If anyone wants to work with me I may need another 4 pallets. I think my next break is at 10 pallets.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You guys buy a lot of bagged material. Is it for resale or personal use? I would think it might be easier to buy bulk and use buckets or something. I buy a pallet of bagged but most of it is sold to businesses that I plow so that they may handle small areas. Just a thought but it is usually cheaper to buy bulk.

13. Plow Meister

I would love to buy bulk but I have nowhere to store it. In bags I can let them sit outside tarped.

Plus, I use tailgate spreaders and bags are much easier to schlep around. When I make the jump to a box spreader I will try to go in on a load or two of bulk with another plow contractor in my area.

I would love to build a hopper off the groung where I can use an elevator to lift the salt into the bin. Then I can drive the trucks under the shute and open it up. No need for a loader and no possibilities of running into the truck with the loader, etc. I have an elevator and the plans for such a hopper in my head. Just need a solid reason to build it and a place to put it.

I know it would save me a ton of money in salt prices.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Like a conveyor to lift it up? Good idea for smaller contractors who cannot afford a loader

15. Plow Meister

Yea, a conveyor is the same as an elevator. That was my reason for buying it last year. I still haven't used it yet. I figure I can store about 5 yards in the space of less than 1 yard. Also, keeping the salt like this will free up my loader for other uses.

16. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Sounds like units like that self contained on trailers could be a good thing to lease to people in the winter time. The hopper could have a chute that folds out for dispensing kind of like how the old trains got water.

Bruce

17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What your describing is what we used to use on the farm to load grain. I've been trying to find one for a couple of months. Anyone knows where I can find one around here, let me know.

18. Plow Meister

EXACTLY!

I didn't think to look for n old silo of that nature. I was just going to build one from scratch out of pressure treated lumber and line the inside with aluminum or copper. I live near the midddle of farm country so I will have to keep an eye out for one already made.

19. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Any of you guys that store pallets of bagged material can store bulk. Take a pallet and put three sides (3' high) and a bottom on it. It'll hold about a yard and you can cover it and stack it outside just like a palet of bags. I plan to put it right in the back of the trucks when it's snowing, it'll be just like a job box but with salt in it. Not everyone can have the Taconic maintenance setup, I dream about a state of the art setup like that. The cost of the bin is minimal to buying bagged material, and depending on your profession you might be able to take home what you need from work like I do. Even if you have to go to Home Depot and buy 2 sheets of OSB and 5 2x4's you'll still save a ton over baged material.
    Casey

20. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

We are getting rock salt 50# bags, full pallet prices @ $2.60/bag
    Calcium chloride flake is @ $7.88 / 50# bag. We are however buying full trailers at a time. And usually buy 3-4 trailers/season.

That could explain the dramatic price drop.