1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bag salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Raw Fingers, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Raw Fingers

Raw Fingers Junior Member

Hi
    Does any one know where to get pallets of salt at a great price in NJ?:waving:

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

For plain rock salt, try Harrison Supply, in Newark. They are in the business White Pages of the phone book.

973-483-4494

They have just about the best prices I have found on small quantities. Of course there is also Home Depot, which sometimes has good prices on 50# bags. Harrison Supply has 80# bags of salt, and Calcium too.

~Chuck

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

just purchased #50 halite at home depot 4.95

cardoctor:gunsfiring:

4. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

WOW that is more then I pay for a 80# bag:eek: I pay $2.99 a bag for 50#ers $2.49 if I take a pallet.

~Nate~

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Unfortunately, withagrainofsalt is not servicing NJ this year. I bought from them last year, at great prices, but this year they were unable to make a deal for NJ.

Last year is was $42 - $47 a ton, delivered to anywhere in North NJ, minimum of 25 tons. I never bought bags from them.

I would be glad to refer anyone in North NJ to a supplier of bulk at a reasonable price. Just PM me, I have a couple of sources.

~Chuck

7. ZMC

ZMC Junior Member

I use Wayne Wholesale, its right off Rte 23 north. The pallet cost is $5.99 per bag 80 lbs. and around $4.20 per bag of 50 lbs. These are pallet prices. The per bag price is about a dollar more per bag. They also have bulk and calcium.

8. rec067

rec067 Member

see pasted information below for location. From looking at their website they cover very large area. I just requested a quote for 18 pallets and was told they are out of that product. Good thing my nearby sources still have plenty!!

With a Grain of Salt, Inc.
    Post Office Box 409
    Leo, Indiana 46765
    Email: customerservice@withagrainofsalt.com
    Customer Service:
    Toll Free Phone: 877-WGS-SALT (947-7258)

9. captjack

captjack Member

Try Chemical Equipment Labs - 610-497-9390 ask for kathy Foley they can deliver to you.
    Good Luck,
    Jack

10. nulawndog

nulawndog Junior Member

Try Bare Ground 888-800-8356 ask for Joe Mahoney. His family owns a few salt mines I guess in the Dominican Republic and Ireland. He just got in 2 ships last week and 3 more on the way for his bag plant. they have Iceban in there bag salt. They have warehousing I think in Albany, Fishkill, Staten Island NY. Clevland OH, PA and Maine. I am paying FOB Mass $4.25 for a 50lbs with Iceban coated salt. The stuff works great. I buy full loads but I think he has Pallet programs.

11. snoopy11577

snoopy11577 Junior Member

Salt in Philadelphia???

Anybody know where to get a deal on salt in Philadelphia. I am paying $5.00 a 50# bag now I am in Northeast Philly. And if anybody needs some help give me a call I have 2 trucks and 1 spreader available. :redbounce :bluebounc

Chris
    (215) 768-0479

12. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Snoopy, I don't know how far away you are from Ottsville, above Doylestown, but I bought by the pallet from Wehrung's for $3.79/ 50# bag. The sell DO IT BEST brand hardware, not sure if other's with same brand sell for same price, as they do have a website, www.doitbest.com.

13. krland

krland Junior Member

Bristol, PA

National Sales and Supply......$3.30 delivered for 50lb bags/

14. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Home Depot and Lowes are sold out around here.

15. dumper

dumper Junior Member

From YEARS of experience...........

the most important thing to do is develop a relationship with one or two suppliers if you are serious about deicing. Salt supplies go in cycles, and there are few who can supply customers on a steady basis.

As a retailer, (NOT looking for business, we have enough, so please do not consider this an ad), my regular, no-haggle, no-hassle customers are the ones that get supplied when the shortages hit.

One shot, cheap prices when there is plenty available, either bags or bulk, are a dime a dozen. The supplier you can depend on "when the ship doesn't come in" are the guys you should be dealing with.

Having been in the salt business for over thirty years, I repeat that if you are in the de-icing business for the long haul, find a good, steady supplier, pay your invoices on time, and develop a good working relationship. There will ALWAYS be shortages, maybe not this year or next, but sooner than later.

16. simply green

simply green Junior Member

krland, where is National sales and supply?

17. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys you have to get in a good working relationship with your local dealer so he sees your needs and can adjust his inventory and keep you stocked and you have to have a reserve supply on hand also during the times he is closed or runs low. My last storm i ran thru 16 skids of chemicals and was at the warehouse every morning first in line with 24 foot box truck just so my reserve supply's dont run low. I run 2 snowex 575 and 3 meyers mini's so my guys were burning it up as fast as we could supply them and with that amounts i get a good price per skid and a few meals to to the guys helps out with service from them... my 2 cents Eric......

18. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i sure wouldnt pay over $3.00 for a 50# bag of rock salt

19. krland

krland Junior Member

National Sales and Supply in Bristol, PA by Trenton sells it for $3.75 a bag...truckload delivered $3.60 a bag. Quick turn time

215-781-0810.....NJ & PA rep is Mike....I deal with him alot on another products as well. F Home Depot

20. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

ROck Salt

I have used Wayne Wholesale off ROute 23. They have the best prices on bags of calcium & rock salt. They also have bulk salt. Tell Jamie I sent you. They are good people that offer just about everything a landscaper or snow removal company would need.

Just my two cents but they are good.

If you are interested in Magic Salt, try Salt Express in Mahwah. They have good prices on bulk and Magic salt bulk.