1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Baffling Cooling Problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Big Red, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Big Red

Big Red Junior Member

I have a 91 Explorer with the 4.0 V6 and I am having problems with losing coolant. I just replaced the engine last Christmas so I don't think that could be it and the system has also been pressure tested and it holds pressure. I'm thinking it has to be the radiator but I've seen no signs or discoloration on it. I can usually go through a gallon of coolant a week but the exhaust isn't discolored and I don't smell that antifreeze smell anytime when I run it. Any ideas about what it could be would be really appreciated. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out and I'm getting extremely frustrated of dumping in gallon after gallon. Please help! Thanks.
  2. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

have u checked ur water pump big red or have u seen any signs of coolant drippin like on the ground or anything??

gl man
  3. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Exactly what I was thinking. It's hard to see the little weep hole on the water pump. If you smell any coolant inside the vehicle, I'd check the heater core, but I'm leaning towards waterpump.
  4. Big Red

Big Red Junior Member

I have checked the water pump and there are no signs of it leaking from around that and I never see any antifreeze on the ground after it has been parked that is what is so confusing because I have checked all the normal places you would check if you are losing coolant and there is nothing.