1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brad3403, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I have a 2001 International 4700 sanding truck with a t444e diesel engine. two months ago an oil change was done and the truck has been driven about 20 hours since.

Last week we were out sanding and the truck started to lose power and stall. The temperature was about minus 20 degrees Celsius. I thought the diesel fuel was "gelling" due to the temperature. I bought a product called "Melt Down", which is an emergency diesel fuel additive and poured it in the fuel tank but it didn't help, the engine would not stay running.
    I pulled the codes and went to an International dealer and they figured it was the camshaft position sensor, a $42 part. I installed it and it made no difference.

I had the truck towed to the dealer. They determined that the problem was low oil. The engine holds 18.9 litres of oil, they say it was down 16.5 litres.
    The problem is, no-one can tell me where the 16.5 litres went! According to the dealer, there is only a few minor leaks, which they say is normal. They say its not leaking into the coolant and they don't believe the engine is burning it (it would have to be burning almost a litre an hour).

Their theory was that when the oil change was done, there wasn't enough oil put in (I had a mechanic friend do it at my shop). I checked the oil jugs that I had bought and confirmed that it was all put in.

The truck had been parked in the same spot and there is not a drop of oil on the ground. If someone had tampered with the vehicle, I believe, they would have just removed the drain plug totally (it was tight).

The good news is that the engine appears to be fine, it was a low oil warning sensor that was shutting down the engine. The gauges were all reading fine though.

Every time we use it now we will check the oil.
    I am at a loss as to where the oil went.
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Time may tell, But I will have to say that the oil was not put in. If it was burning that much you would know it. If it was leaking that much you would know it.
  3. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

We had a Cummins ran with no oil this summer. After that bill, we now check everything before it's driven. Consider this a really, really cheap wake up call for daily pre trip inspections.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

There is something seriously fishy here. They said it was low by 16.5 litres!! Or it was down to 16.5 litres? I mean, how does a truck loose 90% of its oil? Either the dealer screwed up when he told you how much it was low, or your mechanic friend tried to ruin your truck. Are you sure the dealer didn't mean to say it only had 16.5 litres in it, and was low by 2.4 litres. I'm no mechanic but how would it run for 20 hrs with such little oil in it? My guess is the dealer said it was down to 16.5 litres, otherwise that sensor would have gone off sooner.
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Check your fuel for oil in it. Bad injectors will pump oil into the fuel.
  6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I agree check your fuel for oil in it. The injectors are fired by high pressure oil, if you have a bad o ring on an injector it will push oil into the fuel system. Some will get burned through the engine and some will get returned to the fuel tank.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Checking fluids is supposed to be part of the pretrip inspection per dot regs if I remember right. Why isn't your driver performing basic checks on the equipment he/she uses? That question should be pretty high up on the list. Makes you wonder, if they're not doing something as easy as checking fluids what else are they not doing?