1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Baffled...need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy Girl, May 28, 2008.

1. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl Junior Member

So my t stat gauge redlined the other day on my '03 HD 2500. Popped the hood, radiator was cool and fluids were norm. Took her home, picked up 2 new t-stats, started it to pull in the garage and it died within about 5 seconds. Popped the hood again and found the upper radiator hosed was compressed. I changed out the thermostats and now it won't start. It cranks and the temp is back to normal, but it won't turn over now. Could it be a fuse maybe? Or is there some sensor that needs to be reset? Could an airlock shut down the motor? Any info is really appreciated!:dizzy:
  2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Sounds like a clog int he system somewhere. My heater core plugged up on me over the winter and I had no heat for a few 10 degree days...not fun. I would guess that the motor shut down to prevent overheating damage, but I don't actually know if there is an electronic nanny present to do this, just a guess.

Check all your hoses, are any cold? If so you may have a blockage somewhere...the orange dex cool stuff seems to do this to alot of people. You could try doing a complete flush, then backflush and refill with new green stuff.
  3. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl Junior Member

Thanks Mayhem. I'm just gonna take it into the dealer........I need my ignition switch replaced and speedo fixed anyway. I have a feeling it's something electrical or computerized that shut the motor down.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's the likely candidate right there why it may not start. It's a rather common problem on these trucks for the ignition switch to cause a no start/stall condition. Usually affects starting through the on board security system.

Other common cause on the D-max equipped trucks is a restricted fuel filter or loss of fuel prime...usually due to a loose filter or the water in fuel sensor O-ring on the bottom of the filter isn't sealed well and will allow air to enter the fuel system, causing a brief star/run and then stall.

These trucks don't have an actual "shut down" system on the engine that will cause a no start due to a coolant temp problem. They can only limit available engine power (called "reduced engine power" on the cluster display) if the truck overheats while running. You could actually drain the coolant out of it completely and it would still start...and continue to run for a while.