1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Wheel Hop - Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Panpan, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Panpan

Panpan Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 78 short bed 4x4 truck. It has not been driven much and has recently started bouncing very badly on the front right wheel when I am breaking at about 35 MPH. A local 4x4 repair shop didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (for an old work truck) with the suspension. I'm sure the shocks are bad, but the susspension looked ok.

My father had an old Ford that did the same thing a long time ago and he never figured it out.

I know the shocks and steering stabalizer shock are bad.

I guess my question is, is this a common problem? And what's wrong?

Thanks for the help.
    Matt

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

When you say you get wheel hop,is it just the one wheel,or is the whole front end moving around ?

If it's just one wheel,I'd say a bad shock.If it's both,then maybe a steering stabilizer or both shock.

You will need to go over the whole front end,and check it for anything loose.It could be one of the shocks,so just replace them,as well as the steering stabilizer..Also pay close attention to the leaf spring and shackes bushings,and the sway bar bushings,as they also help locate the front diff.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would carefully check the ball joints.

~Chuck

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It could also be a bad tire,or a tire out of balance.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

warped rotor
    caliper hanging up

worn front endpayup payup

cardoctor

6. camperspecial

camperspecial Junior Member

What kind of tires do you have? Bias ply will flat spot if they set for a while. You will swear you have a bent rim. My 74 3/4 ton does this because I don't drive it much. It usually stops after 25 miles or so.

Natchie