1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad weld on smartlock cylinder

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by zjm, Dec 11, 2010.

1. zjm

zjm Senior Member

I got my 9-2 vxt from a dealer 2.5 hrs away,everything went good on install other than a few minor glitches.Got it home in the dark so i couldn't really play with it and look it over. Next day was testing everything out and all phases of using the plow went fine. Upon disconnecting from truck i noticed a drip on driver side smartlock cylinder:confused:. Called dealer and said send me a new line to see if its that, it wasn't. Tested over and over wiping dry each time to find where it was weeping from. It turns out that it weeps out from under weld about a 1/2 inch from hose fitting. Fitting is dry, checked with a magnifying glass and good light and can see it weeping out from under weld bead , not up from where hose is threaded in. I'm hoping dealer will send me a new smarty and i'd send him mine instead of making a 5hr round trip.We'll see, i suspected this from the beginning and mentioned it to dealer when i called about leak originally.My suspicions were true and i should of taken more time to diagnose leak first instead of rushing to get the quick fix.Sorry for long post,i'll find out on Monday how this will turn out. Anyone else get a bad smartlock cylinder?.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's been a few over the years but nothing in comparison to the DD units a while back. They should have included a can of stop leak with each purchase. :eek:
  3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Funny B&B with the stop leak:laughing:
    Its new 0 hrs on it, covered under warranty ,dealer will probably give me a new one.
    I'd rather not make a 5hr round trip for it, we'll see on Monday. I'm hoping we can do exchange through UPS. Being around heavy equipment this type of leak from a bad weld if not grinded out correctly not only weakens cylinder,still usually leaks.Not worried though it'll be replaced under warranty,like i said it's brand new with no hrs. of plowing yet. But i can't wait to use it.payup
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It would expedite the situation if you offered to pay for the new unit then he could credit your CC when he received your cylinder. Remember the dealer is not responsible for the problem, he needs to return your failed unit to be paid by the factory and (no offense intended) but there are plenty of untrustworthy people in the world. Normal system is to wait until the part arrives before shipping the new one. Prepaying with a dealer refund speeds your receiving the replacement and assures to your dealer you will return the defective part. the factory will pay the dealer this way it covers every-bodies posterior.
  6. zjm

zjm Senior Member

No offense taken Basher, your right as far as how trust worthy people are.
    I didn't think of the idea you mentioned,spoke to dealer today and he never mentioned that scenario.He's making a few calls and said he'd get back to me tomorrow.I'll mention your idea to him and see what happens. I think i'll be making the 2.5 hr trip to him, He did say he's not really suppose to let me change the cylinder while under warranty even though it's only 2-bolts/washers/nuts and a hose.
  7. zjm

zjm Senior Member

After a long wait for cylinder(dealer dragged his feet returning new one) we had no snow anyways so not a big deal. Came to me looking like a used cylinder the way they packed it,but put it on and wala no leaks.Performs like a new one should.Can't wait to use it, there is the possibility of a coastal storm here on the island Sun.night into Mon. I will post first time review if we get some SNOW!