1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad weekend!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by OneBadDodge06, Nov 19, 2007.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Well I decided to load my truck and plow up on my trailer to haul it out here.

Got it to my place, started undoing the chain binders and looked at my back window.....completely shattered. My tonneau cover must have hit it in the process it was being blown off cuz its gone too.:cry:

Not to mention it was raining pretty good so my interior was soaked but nothing broken. So I'm out there tryi ng to get a garbage bag over the window since its the only plastic I got and as soon as I get the cab wiped down so the tape will stick, the wind blows my plastic off.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

so you were driving down the road, and your tonneau cover blew off and your rear window shattered, and you didnt even notice it..........:confused:

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

sometimes i cant read too..hah:gunsfiring:

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Alright, got me. But he still didnt notice the cover blow off....

5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

That is why you have to constantly watch your load!!!!! Every 3 to 5 min I check my mirrors. It is a good lesson for you.

6. Pat M

Pat M Member

Now was the truck front loaded or backed on the trailer? I don't understand how you loose your cap and not notice that. How is it that it got torn off the bed of the truck? Was it not clamped? Reminds of when Ice Road Truckers was on the Discovery Channel and one of the guys lost his battery box with batteries and everything and never noticed it fell off his truck as he was driving. How do you miss something like that? I just don't get it. Not bashing but really it had to make alot of noise when it happened. Were there no other cars around that swerved out of the way to miss the cap when it flew off?

7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

He said it was his Tonneau cover (they don't make noise when they fall off). If his cover is like mine, un-snap or un-velcrow it and the frame comes apart easily. The only thing clamped down is the side rails. Front and back come off easily.

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree with sechracer, it would be no diffent then losing a tarp, would make omost no noise. I would think it would take some force to break the window.

9. Pat M

Pat M Member

sechracer my bad. I guess I should of noticed tonneau cover rather than cap. My ignorance. But I don't see how you could still loose the tonneau cover. Had one on before the truck cap and still the rails are clamped down. They aren't just stuck on there will velcro or anything. Especially the back clamp that holds the hold cover to the vehicle. You think someone would have noticed that it was flapping in the breeze behind you. You have to drive a while without ever checking your trailer to not notice it. Maybe it is just me.

10. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Your guess is as good as mine. And yeah I didn't notice it since you can't see the roof of cab from the mirrors:rolleyes:. Besides I was busy keeping an eye on the idiots out Christmas shopping. Luckily it didn't cause an accident since the wind was out of the north. And yes it was a vinyl top/velcro style. Besides it hard to hear anything with the diesel engine wound up.

It was a learning experience, I'll roll the top up before I transport it again. And thanks for the flaming.....I hope none of you have ever made a mistake. Never in a million years would I of thought the wind would of caught it and pulled it off.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

best cover i have found is extang full tilt. soft cover with snaps. but it flips up like a hard cover with 2 handles. then it can pop off complete frame and all in less than 30 sec. with 1 person.

thay are the only one i would by the next time.

http://www.extang.com/docs/fulltilt.html

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I use a extang black max, and if I roll mine up, I have to remove the back bar because the cheap locks that hold it in place suck. They let go and the bar comes out. Front is the same. I usually have to set something on the cover so it wont flap. The clips/snaps are made of plastic and break real easy too. Yes, I have lost the back bar of mine before, thats how I know they just let go. Plus I carry a bag of extra snaps since they break easy too. If you were doing 70 mph, I could see how the back window would get broken if the front bar stayed hooked to the tonneau itself and the wind made it hit the window. Its a learning experience. When towing something I usually have a second person with me to watch the load so I can watch the morons around me.

Tom

13. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I would of but everybody bailed on me at the last minute. I'd even taken somebody I know that talks nonstop......I can just stick them in the box for a much better view of what's going on:nod:

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Didn't notice it was getting a bit drafty in the cab?

15. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Naw.....the truck and plow were on a trailer.