1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Traction

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Liberty&Freedom, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Liberty&Freedom

Liberty&Freedom Junior Member
    from Ohio

We are plowing with a couple new F250's this year. Compared to our Chevy 2500's, the traction is considerably less in the Ford. We had an extra 1000 lbs in the Ford as well.

Has anyone else had issues like this?? Any solutions?

2009 F-250 Boss V Plow 8'-2"

2. karol

karol Senior Member

You're not the only one. This is my 3rd Ford and on the 08 diesel i got they put the cheapest tires they could find. Not only for traction(even with balast) but also for wear. I will probably have to replace them after 30,000 kilometers which is unheard of...

3. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

I'd guess it's the tires...

My '03 F250 PSD went 68,000 miles on the OEM tires (Firestone Steeltex) but lacked a little in traction. I replaced them a couple of months ago with BFG All Terrain KO's and love 'em!

I have one drive way that's curved going up hill - pretty steep - yet now, I can plow uphill and push the snow where I want. Last year I had to back up, plow down, back up a little higher, plow down.....etc. Then stack the snow near the road at the bottom.....

It's so much easier now with good tires and Great Traction!

L15

edit.... By the way, I have an 8' Fisher HD Straight Blade and about 750 pounds of sand bags in the back for ballast.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

same here. Are they short beds?

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My 08 250SD super-cab with stock tires has terrible traction compared to my old 2500HD had with the stock tires... Even the "limited slip" doesn't seem to help...

6. mxr576

mxr576 Junior Member
    from Boston

My 97 F250 powerstroke gets way better traction with ****** tires then my 05 duramax with new Open Country tires.

7. karol

karol Senior Member

traction

No. Long bed. At least mine. Anyhow other than the tires the truck rocks.

8. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

Let me guess, you guys with Fords that are complaining still have the stock OEM Continental tires on them, correct?? LOL! Those tires are a joke! They have absolutely no business being on a 4wd F250 or F350! I took those crap tires off my 2006 F350 and put on Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, night and day difference! Cooper Discoverer ATR was another tire I was considering, but went with the Goodyears instead. ~Mike

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

my truck has 285 bfgoodrich a/ts on it and they grip great. my 2003 f250 ext cab short bed has great traction. a lot better then my old chevy 1500

10. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

hmmmmm look in your bed again,or check the tread s

11. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I have a 2008 F-550 Crew with an 11' service body on it, and I've noticed the traction isn't all that great. After having trouble at a site with a steep gravel hill that's shaded (and tends to ice over), I had some automatic chains put on it... works great now!

Pictures <a target="_blank" href="http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=725460">over here</a>.

12. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

Put a set of studded Cooper M+S's on.

13. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I'm thinking that the answer was in your question. You said that you were used to Chevys.....Therefore my guess is that you're simply not used to the prodigious amount of power the Ford makes......

lol, but seriously, my bet is also on ineffective tires. BFG all terrain t/a's have served me well