1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad sunday plowing...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bowtie_guy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Well went out sunday, have a bit of a cold. Doing my usual run everything looked fine. Was only moving rather slow and all of a sudden bang. Nailed a stone boat. Basically it's plate steel that curves up on both ends. Sides are reinforced with large steel. Sit anywhere from 3" tall to 12" tall. I hit it at the perfect angle it peirced my blade and did one heck of a job.

Kind of like this but all steel.
    [​IMG]

Once I'm feeling better I plan to cut out a section and weld in a replacement panel. Should work out ok.

[​IMG]

Interesting thing is not much snow is going through the hole, plowed the rest of my run sunday and was out this morning no issues. They are calling for 15 to 25CM tonight and into tomorrow so my plans of saturday repair might not happen.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Dang that sucks. I have never heard of the thing you hit. Why was it in the middle of wherever it was you were plowing?

3. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Well that Sux , Whats the purpose of the thing and if you did the plow before ? you would know its there ???

4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

The location is an industrial place that builds buckets, boxes and the like. They often move things around between snows. 2 days erlier there was a transport trailer in the same location. Had enough snow to not even notice anything in the snow, snow wasnt even as there was still slush chunks around too.

Live and learn I guess, could have done alot more damage.

5. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I haven't been plow for that long compared to some on this site, but I have never seen damage on a plow like that before. That really sucks. Hope the repair goes well and all is fine.

6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

wow thats crazy that had to wake you up pretty good!

7. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

To all those that don't want insurance, even tho that was a minor accident, THAT IS WHY YOU NEED IT. Had you been one of those kids and your accident messed up your truck, you'd be f'd.

good luck on the repair, and no excuses if you dont document it. we know you have a camera :nod:

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I have only seen one person on this site that didnt have insurance. And what kids are you talking about?

9. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Do you regularly check "New To The Industry"? There are always people asking if it's needed in there. The explanation is always that, "I only do a couple residentials, and I'm just starting out."

10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Nah and I wouldnt read or post about it. i dont feel anyoe can really answer any questions on this. I think your best bet is to ask your agent what you need. Not a internet forum. Every state is different. And everyone you work for has different comercial policies. If you are a sub. This should be the standard answer. Call your insurance agent or company and ask them

11. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

oh I agree, and the "do I need insurance" question gets a lot of the same answer.

I was hoping people might find this on a search or come across it and realize that accidents do happen.

Sorry for the hijack, back to the plow damage.

12. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Actually stone boats were made of wood with upturned steel ends in the old days. They would load them with stones and oxen or horses would drag it to an unloading spot either a stone pile or stone wall and off load. Just FYI. :salute:

13. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Are you able to go after the customer for damages, or is this all going to be on your dime

14. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

sounds dumb but good thing these plows mold boards arent built with thicker steel cause you would have an entire bent plow instead of just a hole. i can think of a couple plows that would have broken everything behind the mold board and just dented it instead of tearing it open

15. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

That is the exact reason I don't like poly mold boards- with damage like that I'm guessing you would have to re-skin the entire moldboard. Steel- cut, patch and done.