1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad spark plugs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 4x4k20, Feb 6, 2001.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 Member

i bought a set of champion spark plugs for my truck 2 months ago i noticed a skip in my engine so i checked the plugs and found that one of them had the tip missing has anyone else had this happen? i hope this has not ruined my engine

BUSHMASTER Junior Member

Thats a common thing to have happen from time to time.... i worked the automotive after market for a while...spark plugs without electrodes,rotor buttons with no contacts, heater core shot and hit with a bullet.thier are manufacting defects in all things built, cars trucks,tv's,lawnmowers.etc etc etc ...but hey you have some kinda somthin....to find a spark plug without the gutts the odds are slim...play the lottery...!!!:)

UNCLE BOB Member

Did your plug break or burn off???
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

BOB had a good point.If the plug just broke or burnt off,try to find out why.Possibly burning oil or coolant ?Lean condition on that cylinder ? Ign crossfire or detonation ? Very important to figure out why before something gets worse.BTW,what kind of vehicle is it ? Only run champions in chryslers and lawnmowers !Try another plug in that cyl,and pull it after a good drive and see if it looks ok,it will tell you alot.Should be tan to dark brown.If it's white,then that cyl is overheating or very lean.Black specs could be detonation.Any deposits may be oil or coolant.
  5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 Member

i have had detnation problems but its not heavy the plug tip broke off the electorde and insulator was still there it was about a 1/4 inch long that broke off i never seen one do this i have a 383 chevy stroker eng. in 79 3/4 ton 4x4 it has the vortec heads the plugs for these heads have a longer reach than an older 350 uses i hope it didnt hit a valve but i think it did it sounds like a burnt valve when it idles
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well,if they have been in the truck for 2 months,I doubt you hit a piston,as it would probably happened right away,and on more than one cyl.Do a compression test on that cyl,and one or two others to compare,and see if you have a cyl prob.If not do as i said above and read the plugs after some driving,and post your results.BTW any detonation is a problem.Take a few degress of timing out of it,or better yet have the dist reworked (recurved) and the carb set up and jetted to match your engine.The stock dist and carb was never meant for a 383.You'll notice a hugh difference.