1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad solenoid?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PlowGuy314, Dec 26, 2010.

1. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

Hi. I think I have a bad solenoid. Hooked up the plow and it worked fine for a few minutes and then all of a sudden the radio would click in and out in the truck and then I wouldn't be able to angle left or right without dropping the plow a little bit first and then it stopped working all together. I then got the plow working every way i needed to by jumping the connections on the solenoid on the truck so I'm figuring that it's the solenoid there. The thing is though that I already just replaced this solenoid so I'm wondering why it just burnt through two without seeing any use really. What is it besides the bad solenoid? The connections all seem to be tight on everything. What's the real problem here? Thank you.
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What kind of plow is this?
  3. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

A curtis plow with a 99 F350 diesel with two batteries in it. Would the two batteries burn out the solenoid thats rated for 12 V of continuous use?
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

radio clicking in and out is usually a low voltage problem , bad battery?

Lowering the plow to make it work is usually a low fluid problem. With all the fluid in the ram to lift not enough left to angle.

Jumping the solenoid usually means bad selinoid... unless in the amount of time it took you to get set up to run the test the batteries got charged enough to run the plow.