1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad shake when braking

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy01, Sep 18, 2013.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

My '99 SD Has a bad shake when I hit the brakes. The brake peddle does not pulsate but the truck shakes. I've spent a lot of time chasing this problem and a good amount of money but nothing seems to help. I put a dial indicator on the rotors and they were all within .003" Any ideas of what else I can check? Shocks, ball joints, wheel bearing, drag link, tie rod, all replaced within the past year, nothing seems to help.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

When you dialed them. Did you do ck both sides of the rotors?
    If it only happens when you apply the brakes then its gotta be the rotors.

3. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Cut the rotors

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

maybe it's coming from the rear

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Put new Rotors on will fix it

6. Antlerart06

Forgot one thing you might look at your lug nuts My dually was shaking bad I thought was rotors and it was lug nuts wasnt tight

7. rjigto4oje

He said it only happens during braking I'll bet a 12. Pack and a Chicago pizza on it

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. dieselboy01

I only checked to outside of the rotor, I figured if they were warped it would show on either side.

I have called around in the past and no shop around here cuts rotors anymore. They said it's not worth it just buy new ones.

Lug nuts are good,

I was going to check the rear rotors with my indicator this weekend. If any of the rotors are warped then I need to find out why they warped, I would hate to spend the money on new rotors only to warp them weeks later.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Rotors warp easily if you stop fast a couple times in traffic, even empty, or brake hard with a heavy-ish load. Get 'em hot, they'll warp. Luckily the Ford's don't warp as easily as chebbies do... They can also warp if your lug nuts are over-torqued.

If the truck has been sitting (not being driven) for any length of time outside, the rotors may have rust on them too. One of my super duty's was parked for about 2 months outside during the summer and it shook from rust on the rotors. Ended up replacing the rotors on that truck...

Take them into an O'reilly, napa, carquest, or other decent parts store. Many of them turn rotors right at the store, or can refer you to a shop that will.

10. dieselss

You have to dial indicate them on both sides!
    X2 rotors warp all the time. Just get new ones and call it cheap insurance

11. dieselboy01

I will look into all of this, thanks for all the info! Any rotors I should go with? Last time I went with Raybestos slotted from Rockauto.com.

12. dieselss

I get drilled and slotted on my GMC a few years ago. If there not to much more I'd go that route

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Have u checked for a loose Nut behind steering wheel

14. Antlerart06

OEM My cousin ran them slotted rotors and he had more problems till he went back to OEM rotors and so far been 2 yrs slotted rotor he couldn't get a year out of them

15. Antlerart06

Mine was shaking only when brakes was applied it was loose lug nuts and I had to replace all 8 studs to

16. rjigto4oje

His post said he's had this for 2 years I've had the same problem with mine it was the rear

17. Antlerart06

I guess Im blind I didn't see where he said 2 years for anything

18. rjigto4oje

He said within the past year not two years still a long time

19. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Seen a loose caliper cause this problem also, ordered new rotors and pads for my fathers truck, started to take them apart and found the passenger side caliper stud cross threaded. Ran a tap through the mount to clean the crossed threads and checked it again after I was done. Vibe cleared up on the brake check/ ride after I was done. The brake job was done by one of these muffler brake shops local to him before I looked into the problem.

Just a thing to check out.

Matt

20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Trying to figure out the timeline in this thread took a long time.....

Rotors.....Rotors.....Rotors