1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad S2 cartridge?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FordFisherman, Jan 27, 2011.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

My MM1 drops slowly on its own. Did a search, disconnected controller, no change. Anyone point me in the right direction from here? Had water in the fluid this past week. Could cartridge have an obstruction? Bad coil?

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the S2 cartridge is probably stuck or clogged.That valve is the main control for the lift ram.If there is an obstruction or stuck this will happen.Wait till repoman see the post hes got excellent advice on what to do

3. FordFisherman

from 06611

thanks, yeah Ryan's the man:drinkup: Do the cartridges go bad over time? 15yrs old I would guess.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

A few things, first it would be a good idea to change out your fluid, and remove your valves to check them over. At the very least....pull the valves and look for hydroice lol. The temps are not easy on our equipment, but when you add in some water...your apt to have issues.

The other thing is, have you tried tightening the packing nut?....could just need a simple fix.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks guys, I didn't see your comments till after! :drinkup:

6. FordFisherman

from 06611

Yup, checked the nut, no change. Flushed the fluid on Monday. Had the cartridge out this PM but wasn't sure what to look for as far as being stuck or clogged and I'm wiped out. 17 hrs in with this last storm so I'm going to hit it in the am. For now gathering info.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Did you tighten it...or just check it? Is there any seeping around the top of the valve? Make sure the fluid is topped off as well.

I had a brain fart, it wouldn't be the S2 valve; it would be the S1 valve that would be the issue.

What your looking for is a weak or contaminated spool spring basically. Pull out the valve, and make sure the end of the valve is all the way out to start with. Inspect the seals, then look for any contamination / blockage. Use a needle or other pointy tool to push in on the end of the valve to check the spring operation. It should resist a bit but give way, then spring all the way back out when you let go.

8. FordFisherman

from 06611

Replaced cartridge, problem fixedThumbs Up

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Damn skippy, happy plowing!