1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Relay???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJL, Dec 13, 2004.

1. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I have a '04 Chevy 2500HD with Western UltraMount 7.5' straight blade. Attach harness cables and every light works (parking & headlamp) EXCEPT for driver side headlamp, it's out. Tried replacing with new headlamp, same problem. FYI, headlamp on driver side of truck is lit. Tested hazards and both blinkers, work on passenger and driver side of plow.

Now, I cleaned the electrical connection that goes from truck to plow. Seems to be making good contact all around. However, every now and again when I dis/reconnect the wiring harness the plow light will turn on and truck lamp (driver side that is, problem side) will turn on.

My question is...Am I correct in assuming this is a bad relay and/or one that is getting "hung up? I would like to avoid pulling out the truck headlight and messing around with all six relays to find out it wasn't a relay at all...

thanks for any help you might have.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

This problem is intermittant? If so check all of your connections and make sure they are clean and tight including the connections where harness plugs into existing headlight harness on truck.

3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Ya, intermittent. More on the not working side but I can occasionally get them to work. I heard of relays sticking...but lightly tapping on them is not getting me anywhere. I'll clean all the connections today and lub them up with some dielectric grease. See if that does anything. If that doesn't work I'll have to revert to trying each relay. Problem is I had my plow switched from 1500 to 2500 and the company didn't relabel the relays 1-6. Therefore, I have to either go in and replace each one until the light works. I might as well just figure them all out since this problem can happen in the middle of a storm.

BTW, thx for the response/s on the weighing truck issue/thread.

4. Tarkus

At this point my gut feeling is that it is not a relay (I could be wrong though) and I really feel that you have a loose connection somewhere that is causing intermittant operation. Thanx for kind words too.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Got to Western's website and down load the instruction manual. There is a nice drawing of what relay does what and then follow the correct wires to that relay. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. But like Tarkus, I don't think its a relay sticking.

6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

DLCS, thx for the info. I've already done that. I keep a binder tucked behind my front seat with all of the information that I can download from the site; parts lists & installation instructions. You never know where and when you are going to have a problem...I have a little of that Irish blood in me so Murphy's law really applies to me :jester:

And you are correct, it should be pretty easy to decipher. Well, looks like the rain stopped so I'll hop outside and let you all know what it was...er...or wasn't.

thx again.

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Great, let me know, just in case I have the same problem sometime. I have the Western relays too.

8. Tarkus

My nickle is still on a harness or chassis plug somewhere in lighting circuit.

9. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Tarkus, you've lost your nickel...LOL

I did what you said and checked all connections. Cleaned them and lubed them up w/ some dielectric grease. Rechecked, same problem. No low beams. Go down to auto store and grab a few relays. Get out to the truck unlock the truck via the remote entry and whamo, low beam is working!! Okay, get in truck and start er up...no more low beam.

Get back to the house, figure out which relay is which and mark em for future reference. Replaced relay #3 the driver side low beam and what do you know, it works. We'll see when I let it sit tonight and drive it around a little tomorrow.

thx Tarkis and dlcs, your help/insights were appreciated.

10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

FYI-your going to run into more problems in the future with the relay set up on a 03/04 Chevy due to the way they now fuse the high/low beams.Yes,i realize it all plugs in and works but Fisher does not reccomend it and a dealer probably should not have done it.They were probably trying to save you money so you didn't have to switch to the Isolation Module but keep in mind you may pay down the road,hope not,Good luck :waving:

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Your right, my dealer will not sell the relay system on any chevy newer than a 02, must go with the isolation module.

12. Tarkus

It is a Western not Fisher plow but they use simular parts in some areas. My 99 Fisher on a 99 GM truck came with a isolation module and it has not given me 2 cents of trouble (yet anyway)

13. WELDER

WELDER Member

i got your answer i think. i had all these problems myself this year alone. the lights were on on the truck and not the plow. also the plow wouldnt drop sometimes. i did all the same stuff you did. here is what i found.

1. look at you quick connect very carefuly.my money is on a pin that is pushed back into the coupler about 1/16 of an inch.use a pair of needle nose and pull out any pin that looks recessed.that fixed one of my problems that was intermittent..

2. i had a lighting problem and a new relay fixed that.on my plow there was 2 (7-6 western pro). if you need any extras let me know . i got about 500. :waving: ...........welder

14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Arc Burn,

I'm familiar with the problem. I've had this plow going on 4 years now. It was first installed on a GMC 1500. No problems the first year. However, every season, it never fails, as soon as I dust the cobwebs off and attach to the truck one of the relays goes bad. I just replace it, goes with the territory. Costs a few dollars in a relay and about an hours worth of my time. I'd have to have the plow for over ten years before it equaled the cost of the isolation module. Our other truck '02 GMC 2500HD has a 8' western pro w/ iso module. Last year was first year and no problem. This year we'll see...

The reason why I posted cause the headlamp on the plow would work every now and again. Was really weird, I'm assuming the relay was "sticking" and worked when it wanted to?.?.? Confused the heck out of me. Still was a bad relay.

I just wish Western could have manufactured a board/plate in which the wires could attach to on one side and the other is the relays. then, replacing a relay would be just like your fuse box, pull it out, pop another one in. If they really went nuts they could label all of the relays and wires (i.e. pass low beam, pass high beam). Then figure a place to mount the board...in a convenient place instead of behind the truck lights which need to be removed in order to access the relays.

Sounds like a good aftermarket product. :cool:

15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I know it's a Western,the harness is the same.My original post dealt with the Relay set-up,not Isolation Module.