1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad relay

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by justgeorge, Dec 31, 2011.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

How often do relays go bad? The one I just installed for wiring my reverse lights apparently went bad already. The lights would come on no matter what position the switch was in, and even after the wires were disconnected from the switch the lights were still on. I had a new relay already (it had been in the center console of my truck for a year or more, had bought it for my Ditch Witch and didn't need it) so I swapped it out and now everything is fine.

I have the relay tucked just behind the taillight assembly. It did go out after driving in the rain, but I think it would stay dry where it's mounted.

Thanks.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

relays are current rated.
    the relays for my work lights and strobes are 4 years old. the relay for my onboard air compressors burn out every 2-3 months because the biggest i can find locally are 40 amp, and the compressors draw 40 amp.

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

not sure what kind of relay your using but maybe get one with 2 set of contacts and put the load across both sets

4. swtiih

are you using a mechanical or solid state relay. what is the load that your putting on it.

5. tjctransport

it would not make any difference if there were 10 csets of contacts. a 40 amp circuit is only good for 40 amps. sooner or later it is going to overheat from running at max capacity and melt.
    what i need to do is put a larger relay on there, something like a ford starter relay that is good for 100+ amps.

6. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

It was a relay on the shelf I picked up at Pep Boys, $7 I think. Load is only 2 LED 18w reverse lights.

7. swtiih

Agreed, my thinking was from the standpoint that maybe the contacts were arching so bad that they weren't making good contact anymore. DC tends to do that. Because a compressor is in an inductive load a larger rated relay would be better.

8. tjctransport

2 18 watt lights on a relay is 36 watts. that converts to only 3 amps. so there is no reason for the relay to die unless it was defective to start with.

9. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

is it a sealed waterproof relay?

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

you know your right here.....but if you would take a min. to think about this you might find that when you stack 2 relays together sharing that 40amp load you cut it to 20 per relay..

any good installer knows never to push your fuse or relay above 75% of its max under normal conditions.