1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad rear shocks cause wander?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kurtandshan, May 28, 2012.

1. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Dealer said I have bad rear shocks a year ago but I never noticed any issues. Filled up with gas today and headed down the highway. It felt like I was driving a water tanker with no baffles. I am sure I need an alignment at the front but could the bad shocks cause this? If so reccomendations?

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

How are your tires? Any broken belts in them?

3. kurtandshan

Tires are a bit worn, dont know about broken belts- they goodyear pro-grade.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

If it happened that sudden, something broke/ripped/etc. I've been seeing more and more broken rear springs on these superduties, and that will certainly cause a wander. Bad rear shocks won't cause wander, just bounce. You could have a low tire too, or separated tread, but a broken belt will cause a shake rather than wandering.

5. MBB

MBB Senior Member

If you are getting a lot of wander, it might be power steer gear box and or the pump. I had been dealing with this for a while. Replaced ball joints , tie rod ends , all new brakes, new springs in rear. Then I finally checked the pitman arm. Joint on arm ok but over an inch of vertical play in gearbox shaft ( I had tightened ball screw up some just prior). So replaced gear box, for what ever reason got about 8 blocks and the pump went out. Drives out real well now, for just over 100k on the meter. I did check the vertical stabilizer bar( for lack of a better term) it was ok. these due wear in the bushings and cause wandering also.

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Silent Armors? Have seen several goodyears bust belts in the silent armors espically in older, warn out tires. There is a recall on some 17 and 18 inch sizes for tread seperation. I have also seen a frozen front axle u-joint cause real bad wondering in those trucks.

7. kurtandshan

Yup, Silent Armours. Going to go with Cooper S/T Maxx in the fall.