1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Pump?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel_brad, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

When I first got the truck the plow motor wouldn't turn. I pulled it apart cleaned it up and installed new bushings to replace the worn out ones. Now the motor turns but nothing else.

Today i pulled the motor, and the pump. I drained all the fluid and cleaned the inside of the housing.

I put a drill on the pump shaft and spun it with the filter in oil and it pumped oil out of the bottom. I put a new o ring on the bottom of the pump and reinstalled it. Also filled with fresh fluid. Put the motor back on and I still have no angle of lift?

What else could be wrong. The cables are moving the valve. I could see one cable being out of adjustment, but both?

Please help, i need the get this working so I can sell the truck, I am broke

2. Diesel_brad

Ok. Now I have side to side movement but I have NO LIFT. I am a little low on fluid(i put in 2.75 quarts) but I have no more. I put the floor jack under the plow and jacked it up. I picked it up about 4". Now there is slack in the chain. But the lift cyl will not work. Am I too low on fluid?

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You might try removing the blade from the chain so the lift ram can move unweighted. This would tell you if your valving and cable adjustments are directing oil to the cylinder. You really should put a pressure gauge on it and verify that the pump is making pressure. There will be a pressure relief valve on the pump output. If it is adjusted too loose then the pressure will not build enough to lift. When there is no snow against the plow it takes very little pressure to angle, it does, however; require lots to lift the blade. You might try putting a jack under it and help the blade go up while holding the control in the up position but that is the same as unhooking the chain. This would tell you that the valving and controls are OK but there is just not enough pressure.

I am not terribly familiar with the cable operated systems except for the little I played with them on the Western course (I have never actually had to service one) but here is a link to the mechanic's guide for what I believe is your system. Hope that helps. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/13497_020188.pdf

4. Diesel_brad

I have the weight of the plow held with a floor jack. The chain is slack. There is NO movement of the lift cyl

5. mishnick

So now you know that there is enough pressure to angle but not enough to move the lift cylinder unweighted. Check the cland nut on the top of the lift ram, if it is overtightened it can be like a vise on the lift ram piston. You may also have a valving or cable adjustment problem. The link I sent you in my last post shows how to do a cable adjustment. But it would be really nice if you had a pressure gauge and could verify the pump is making enough pressure to do it's job.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. mishnick

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  7. Diesel_brad

I dont have access to a pressure gauge so I will check cable adjustment

8. Diesel_brad

I jammed the control stick in the lift position with the lift cable disconnected. I then went out and moved the lift valve by hand. You hear the motor bog down but nothing happened.

I tried to loosen the packing nut but it will NOT budge. Mind you I am 6'4" and 250lbs. I took the whole pump housing off the truck. i have one pipe wrench holding the lift cyl and another on the packing nut. I am worried about breaking the aluminum housing. Are they pretty tough?

9. Diesel_brad

Well i didnt brake the housing. I broke the nut. The threads are still in the housing. So it look like i am screwed

10. mishnick

It sounds like it was VERY tight so that may be the problem. Now all you need is what they call the lift cylinder "gland nut". I think they cost about $12 but don't quote me. Now you could try hooking things up again and see if the lift ram piston goes up, just don't let too much oil in the lift cylinder or it will pop the ram right out. You could even just pull the ram out and see if any oil enters the chamber when you hit up. If oil enters the chamber then you know that the valves are directing oil there.

11. Diesel_brad

The hosing is JUNK. The threads of the nut are still seized in the housing. Just the hex part of the nut broke off

12. mishnick

Now you have a problem, with the threads still stuck inside the piston won't come out so you're in a pickle. I would be draining the ram and applying heat to the top end of the cylinder and then try to turn the threaded remains with a hammer & small chisel. Carefull not to use too much head because the cylinder is aluminum I think. But that could be good because the aluminum will expand faster than the steel gland nut threads.

13. Diesel_brad

I had another housing I ended up using and getting it up and working with my internals