1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad pump and motor on ultramount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Tony350, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Not sure if it is true but wanted to give all ultramounts a heads up. Plowing this morning my plow started moving slow and finally stopped. The motor wouldn't run. Thought it was the solenoid, had a friend help me check, 12 volts at the motor. Thought motor was bad, put a new one in and the motor worked, but no plow movement. Asked the dealership mechanic, he came and looked, told him my troubles and said he it was the pump. Said if the motor shorts out it can take ground through the pump, then it archs and wrecks the pump, he showed me the old one, had arch marks on it. So if your motor is grinding replace it before it shorts, got expensive, $500 for the repairs today. Not complianing still happy with western, only down time with the plow in 6 years of commercial use,

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

wow im gonna keep an eye out for that!!! pro plow or pro plus?

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Pro Plus 8.5'

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing new there and not just to a Western. This is why keeping all connections especially the often overlooked grounds in check is so important and as soon as the motor gets noisy it's time to check those bushings and/or replace the motor with a fresh one. Or else you're running on borrowed time on damaging the gear pump.