1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad pto pump?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kcplowmata, Nov 20, 2007.

1. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

i bought an old municipal truck off here . its an 1982 l9000 with a pto on the front. im not getting any pressure. have it engaged and still nothing. the pto runs the spreader in the back. is the pump burned up? if so is much to rebuild one. thanks kirk

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pto

better have a truck equipment shop put a pressure tester and flow gage on it first after you check out the obvious oil level, in line filters etc ,plus you better know what kind of pump and pto you have first .or straight crank drive load senseing hydraulic's .

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pto

better have a truck equipment shop put a pressure tester and flow gage on it first after you check out the obvious oil level, in line filters etc ,plus you better know what kind of pump and pto you have first .or straight crank drive load senseing hydraulic's .or valve problem

4. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Ok, I have to ask...How did you end up getting Big Red transported? LOL

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I know this sounds stupid, but are all the taps on and is the oil tank full. Check your hydraulic filter and can you move the spinner by hand or the chain with a pipe wrench, just want to make sure nothings seized. I read when that truck was for sale it needed a new oil tank, maybe it was changed or I'm thinking of another truck. Are one truck I thought the pump was gone and some buddy turned the main valve off, so the pump wasn't getting any oil. Take the inlet off the pump and see if the oil free flows into a pail when the trucks not running. Pumps will last forever unless they are run dry.

6. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

i ended up driving it back to kc myself. i had a driver but he drove it one exit and wimped out. so i said what the heck. yes this is the truck off here with no tank on it i took off an inspection plate on the pto and it looked fine. but im new to the hydro part of this truck.when you say oil do you mean in the hydro tank itself?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So did you get it running? What did you have to do? I'm not an expert but we've built a couple of salt trucks and stuff for the farm.

8. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

was gonna work on it sunday. if it doesnt have fluid to the pump will it pull it to the pump?or do you have to take off the line and let air through? thanks

9. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

got it pumping but the flow doesnt seem heavy. i put w32 hydraulic fluid in it. but is that the right stuff? thanks chain is free and spinner too.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We use just universal hydraulic oil in our trucks. You should have lots of flow with a front pump. Is there a filter, does your spinner at least turn? It could be the pump with very little flow, who knows what happened before you got it. I'm not as good at explaining how to fix it, as I am doing it myself.

11. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

yea i need to change the filter. the spinner turns slow

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The filter would be a good place to start!

13. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

duhhhhhhhhhhh got give her some rpms lmao. was idling while i was tinkering with it . wife reved it up and away she spun

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Live and learn, I'm glad you got it working.