1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad power plugs wide out and tornado

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fatheadon1, Nov 24, 2012.

1. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

So on my 2 year old wide out and tornado I seam to have bad plugs on the power harness. if i hit a bump i lose power and sometimes have to jiggle the wire to make it work, Or twist the connection so it makes contact. Anyone other them me have this problem? plugs have been greassed since day one iv cleand them a few time an regreased still no luck and it has become annoying. Should i buy new harness? I'm willing to try anything :mechanic:

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

make sure it's the harness... I had major issues with the connector at the controller... same problems, and it is a known issue with western, they should replace it for you, new ones coming out have corrected connectors at the controller..
    they had issues with the solder breaking from the white connector in back, nothing held that thing on but the solder

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have seen more problems with the smaller plugs failing than the big ones. Have heard of peoples plugs coming apart on bumps but found that keeping them well greased helps that. The grease kinda keeps a vacume between the two halfs. Without grease the air gets in too easy and the come apart but you keep yours well greased.

Since both yoru wide-out and tornado are hot all the time why don't you try putting a little indicator light on the plow. Just get some little, low current draw bulb and wire it right to the hot side of the relay (under the driver's side shrowd / hydro cover) and ground. Mount it outside on the headlight tree where you can see it from the driver's seat. If the plow fails but the light stays on then you know it's not the plug. You can do the same with the tornado. Just hook the lamp to the decoder box. It's behind the spinner on the left side of the conveyor rail. Two 10 mm bolts and a black plastic cover.

Maybe your connections are loose at the battery / fuse?

4. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Iv checked the plug at the contorler for the plow an that seamed good I greased it an moved on I will look it over again. I did put this plow on my other truck an it is fine. so i think it is the truck side harness right at the plug. i think this because if i wiggle it it turns the headlights on and off. "i have hids in tge plow run to a relay fed off the power at the plwpump"As for the spreader I can turn the spreader on an go mover the plugs an shuts it off an on just buy moving the wire. I will get video tomorrow. It either seams the harness is bad at the plug or the plugs its the plug it self.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Fortunately the truck side power cable and the sander end power cables are not expensive. And pretty simple to replace. No relays, just two big wires and the little plug. If it comes and goes when you wiggle it then sounds like the plug.

6. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Thank you sir:salute: now i have a plan just gotta get the parts